PDA

View Full Version : Ufos In Mexico

po-
2004-May-12, 05:01 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4955164/

this story is pretty cool. i always figured aliens would have invisible crafts if they were flying around. is it theoretically possible to make something invisible to the eye with our knowledge of physics yet?

galaxygirl
2004-May-12, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by po-@May 12 2004, 01:01 PM
is it theoretically possible to make something invisible to the eye with our knowledge of physics yet?
I dont think we can make anything invisible, but some of the stealth planes (F-117 Nighthawk, B-2 Spirit) are very hard to see in the sky.

Littlemews
2004-May-12, 07:16 PM
Well if some airship they got an system which can relese mist that can cover the entire airship, it will happen to be invisible as in the view of knowledge, but not physic...

Josh
2004-May-13, 01:00 AM
The thing people have forgotten, I think, about the term UFO is that they are just that .. unidentified. UFO doesn't mean Alien space craft. These lights have been termed ufo's because they don't know what they are. In reality what's the likelihood of these lights being aliens? slim to none is my guess. Of course doesn't mean we can't hope.

newc
2004-May-13, 08:34 AM
According to my knowledge a japanese scientist conceived a way to bend light (using fiber optic technology) making anything kind of transparent. In the article I read there was a picture of himself in front of a wall which showed (blurrily) what was behind it. I used to have the article, unfortunately my hdd blew up recently carrying it in its hardware grave :)
However, to reply to the original question, it seems possible to actually use technology to make DA perfect camouflage. Said that, I have no idea as of whether the aforementioned technology can or has been applied to aircrafts.

Anyhow I'd personally favour this option, rather than have to accept that some beings have travelled 10 light years to just fly around a mexican police plane.

Graceless
2004-May-14, 12:19 AM
I know the article and invention you are referring to. You are correct on most counts, but the technology itself revolved on images being transmitted onto his body while he himself was wearing the equivalent of a projection screen with images being beamed onto his clothing.
While the technology itself was stunning, it requires what most prototypes require....a giant truck behind it to carry all the equipment needed to operate it. In no way was it feasible.

But with all that said...it still is extremely interesting.

Algenon the mouse
2004-May-14, 02:35 AM
I saw it on the news.

They look like car head lights to me. But they could be just aliens from the Dog Star hiding weapons of mass destruction...

seeker372011
2004-May-14, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by newc@May 13 2004, 07:34 PM
a japanese scientist conceived a way to bend light (using fiber optic technology) making anything kind of transparent. In the article I read there was a picture of himself in front of a wall which showed (blurrily) what was behind it. I used to have the article, unfortunately my hdd blew up recently carrying it in its hardware grave :)

I think the article you are referring to may be the one that appeared in "National Geographic " late last year

DippyHippy
2004-May-14, 11:13 PM
LOL Algenon - care to wager how long it will be before we're "liberating" them as well??? :P

Algenon the mouse
2004-May-15, 06:09 PM
Before November which is election time.

Anyways...It is not that I do not believe in life from another planet, it is just that the pictures look very hokey to me. I still remember the movie on Big Foot. Many swore it was proof that Big Foot was real. The guy who made the movie admitted it was a fake right before he died. He did it to get publicity for his TV show. This seems to fall along those lines.

TuTone
2004-May-17, 05:20 PM
Do you believe this may be accurate? Possibly, but I doubt it...hmmm you be the judge. :D Weather may explain Mexico UFO stir (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/05/17/mexico.ufos.reut/index.html)

DippyHippy
2004-May-17, 10:39 PM
Algenon, do you know about the Fairy fakes here in England? Not sure exactly when, but early in the 20th century, there were photographs made public showing a couple of little girls posing with fairies they said lived at the bottom of their garden.

For years people believed them - the experts could find nothing wrong with them - and then, in the 80's or 90's, one of the girls admitted they were fake - they just cut out pictures of fairies from a book, stuck them on leaves and had their photos taken with them. I thought it was hilarious.

What I also find fascinating is the number of people who mistake Venus in the sky for a UFO. That staggers me... it doesn't move... (well, it does, but let's not get too pedantic LOL) - how can it be a UFO?

John L
2004-May-18, 02:48 PM
Two things.

1. Dippy Hippy has hit the nail on the head. There has been a huge increase in UFO sightings in the last few months because of Venus! It is brighter than it normally is and low in the sky. I don't know much about Mexican Airforce systems but my bet is that is what they saw.

2. There are between 100 and 500 billion stars in the Milky Way. There are over 100 billion galaxies in the visible universe. The Earth has been sending (inadvertently) signals into space that could be detected by an alien civilization for only the last 68 years. For an alien species to detect us, and even respond at the speed of light so that we got the answer today, they would have to be within 34 lightyears of Earth. With such a huge universe with so many stars and galaxies its my opinion that it is impossible that there isn't other inteligent life in the universe, but we are so insignificant that they don't have a clue we're here or have any reason to bother visiting us.

Tom2Mars
2004-May-19, 01:55 PM
I had mentioned in another thread (thanks for the heads up)
The latest suggestion I saw on an internet news page was "ball lightning". It tends to follow static charges, like planes.

My mother witnessed ball lightning when she was younger. While she and her mom were inside their home, one of them came in one window, and not too quickly, moved through the house and out another window.

Then I saw the news reference made by TuTone, that is the news story I saw too. I'm with TuTone on this one.

re- Dippy's comment

What I also find fascinating is the number of people who mistake Venus in the sky for a UFO. That staggers me... it doesn't move...
Sometimes when I'm standing by the trees outside at night and look at Venus, it seems to jump around, the movement/flicker is due to the interruption of the branches and twigs, and the brain is actually hardwired to accentuate differences and contrast from visual input (the eyeballs and optic nerve). Perhaps any interruption, trees, power lines and such, can mislead people. And we have a lot of power lines all over the place.

Here is another interesting optical effect. I was looking at the Astronomy Picture of the Day website at the globular cluster in Hercules. Go to this page Ooooooh! (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040511.html)
You can get a larger picture by clicking on the image, stare at it and it will move.

Gotta go, the neighbor's calf is my driveway!