PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Space Tug Set To Launch In 2007

Fraser
2004-May-13, 04:45 PM
SUMMARY: Orbital Recovery has signed a long term contract with Arianespace to launch five of its space tugs as secondary payloads on future Ariane 5 launches. The ConeXpress Orbital Life Extension Vehicles (CX OLEV) will dock with satellites in geostationary orbit which are running out of fuel and take over the process of station keeping, which keeps the satellite in position and pointed at the same spot on the Earth. This will allow satellite operators to continue getting revenue from an otherwise perfectly functioning spacecraft.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2004-May-13, 06:08 PM
YES!!! Finally! It's a shame NASA isn't getting involved in this, although suggestions are being made that a modified space tug could be used to move the Hubble to the ISS.

Can the Space Tugs be reused? The story seemed to indicate that they would be merely addons to existing satelites so that those can continue maintaining orbit.

Could they be used to clean up space debris? There are lots of big satelites that long ago went out of commission, but are still zipping around the Earth.

Eric Vaxxine
2004-May-14, 04:28 PM
It is a very clever idea. I feel like the future has reached us when I hear about things like this.

Peter Canuck
2004-May-17, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Guest@May 13 2004, 12:08 PM
Can the Space Tugs be reused? The story seemed to indicate that they would be merely addons to existing satelites so that those can continue maintaining orbit.

Could they be used to clean up space debris? There are lots of big satelites that long ago went out of commission, but are still zipping around the Earth.
The article made it sound like they go to a satelite and stay there with it, not move from place to place helping out.
I checked the OR webstie and their information doesn't say for sure.

Duane
2004-May-17, 08:14 PM
The first ones are just attachments to satillites that have run, or are running, out of fuel. Further advancements include tugs that can capture and deorbit relic satillites, station keepers and reusable tugs, and tugs that can do things like service the Hubble.

Very neat stuff!

Tom2Mars
2004-May-19, 04:08 AM
I saw their site too! Very good analysis of a problem and they seem to have come up with a workable financially sound solution. Good Work!