PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Faking Titan In The Lab

Fraser
2004-May-17, 11:35 PM
SUMMARY: Researchers from the University of Arizona have recreated some of the chemicals thought to be in the atmosphere of Titan, Saturn's largest moon. It's unique in the Solar System, with a thick haze of hydrocarbons; some scientists believe it's a similar environment to our own planet's early history. They created these chemicals by bombarding an analog of Titan's atmosphere with electrons, which produces "tholins" (organic polymers). These have been detected from Earth-based telescopes. By dissolving these tholins in liquid water creates amino acids, which are the building blocks for life.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

StarLab
2004-May-18, 12:15 AM
How - precisely - will this help us in the near future?

Tinaa
2004-May-18, 12:21 AM
It may help us understand how we evolved and how life may begin on other planets. Sometimes you have to take the long view, to the past and the future! Will Titan become the "new Earth" when our star expands into a red giant? Exciting stuff!

StarLab
2004-May-18, 12:32 AM
Will Titan become the "new Earth" when our star expands into a red giant? Exciting stuff!
You know, I never thought about it that way before...tell you what, I'll make it a new topic under THEORIES.

Littlemews
2004-May-18, 05:00 AM
I hear Titan has an Inverse Greenhouse effect.. Like infrared go through its atmosphere(clouds) and escape back to space easily...