PDA

View Full Version : The ExtraSense Question

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-20, 11:32 PM
Please vote. If your not familier with ExtraSense's ideas, check out "mushrooms on Mars" or "Lamb on Mars" which all can be found in the Alternate Theories forum.

DippyHippy
2004-May-20, 11:44 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!! Please note, it wasn't me who started this topic LOL

Ziggy, I owe you a beer!! :P

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-20, 11:46 PM
I knew somthing was missing... :lol:

galaxygirl
2004-May-20, 11:51 PM
Nice topic Ziggy!

:lol: :D :P ;)

StarLab
2004-May-21, 12:19 AM
If this topic doesn't seal the fate of evil ES, then I'll...oh, I don't know! Just be pissed off, I guess

By the way, thanx for making this horrible issue a topic/poll, Zig ;)

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-21, 12:22 AM
Your welcome StarLab :lol: . Let us launch a crusade against the evil ExtraSense!

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-21, 12:26 AM
I do hope that evil ExtraSense will read this topic and reply, after all it is in the Alternitive Theories forum, ExtraSense' favorite :lol: .

Fraser
2004-May-21, 01:02 AM
Sorry, please refrain from the personal attacks. We need to be fair here, even if people have crazy ideas.

TheThorn
2004-May-21, 01:42 AM
I'm with Fraser.

We have to tolerate crazy ideas, because every once and a while a crazy idea changes the world. Like, oh, say, the idea that there are tiny tiny invisible creatures all around us that can make us sick if we're not careful.

Of course, Extrasense is no Pasteur. But we have to put up with him to make sure that we don't ban the next Pasteur when he does show up.

I really don't think his ideas are worth getting all worked up over. Take them for their entertainment value. Chuckle and move on.

In fact, reading over his (or her) posts, I get the feeling that he/she may be trolling, in which case, he/she is getting a lot of entertainment value out of your over-reactions.

zephyr46
2004-May-21, 01:51 AM
I didn't vote, will only vote on serious issues in an agreed format with frasiers request for imput. I will say that Starlab also breached the rules in relation to Capital letters.

Dips, I think you should have left ESs forum running, It seems to have been in the right part of the forum, and Extra Sense, assuming you beleive what you are saying and not just being a clown (There is a Forum for that sort of thing as well) don't give up looking! :)

You might be the first. and to my understanding, there are berries on mars, we should go and look for the trees, what do you think Extra Sense?

kashi
2004-May-21, 02:19 AM
Extrasense is just out to stir people. If you don't like it, then don't read and reply to her topics. Ziggy, it is NOT your place to start polls about people being banned.

I've deleted the poll and moved this to the feedback section, but you can keep talking about it if you insist.

StarLab
2004-May-21, 04:29 AM
I will say that Starlab also breached the rules in relation to Capital letters.
Please accept my apologies. :(

zephyr46
2004-May-21, 04:41 AM
I only mentioned it as an example of pickking on someone while ignoring an obvious breech, point being 'tolerance'. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, and I wasn't offended, I found it amusing. But yes I could see people getting upset.

I would like to see an area set aside for World News and Politics discussion :D

This is the Universe Today isn't it?

VanderL
2004-May-21, 08:27 AM
I'm with Fraser.

We have to tolerate crazy ideas, because every once and a while a crazy idea changes the world. Like, oh, say, the idea that there are tiny tiny invisible creatures all around us that can make us sick if we're not careful.

Of course, Extrasense is no Pasteur. But we have to put up with him to make sure that we don't ban the next Pasteur when he does show up.

I really don't think his ideas are worth getting all worked up over. Take them for their entertainment value. Chuckle and move on.

In fact, reading over his (or her) posts, I get the feeling that he/she may be trolling, in which case, he/she is getting a lot of entertainment value out of your over-reactions.

Right Fraser/The Thorn, exactly the point. Why get yourself all worked up over some strange interpretations of images, ther'e nothing evil in that, I think it is fun to see what others think they see. And maybe at some point we will all see life blossoming from the berries.

Cheers.

Greg
2004-May-21, 08:52 AM
Perhaps a lesson from how the British adeptly handled (and still are handling) the IRA terrorism threat applies here. One of their successful principles that they employ is to allow opposition leaders to remain visible (and alive) so their movements can be easily tracked. This adds a predictability factor to their actions resulting in a limitation of their ability to use surprise as a successful tactic. When the British tried to eliminate their leaders, they found that they were often surprised by the IRA's next actions. The who, what, when, where, and how became very difficult to predict until the next leader emerged. In light of this I think the Israeli actions against Hamas are shortsighted and even foolish, considering the lessons learned by the British. I think the same principles apply here. So long as we know what ES is doing and it is not terribly disruptive and becoming a trend with others, then I think it should be tolerated. As for me, when I see an ES post I decide to ignore it with a reliable assurance that it will not be worth reading. If ES was banned then that person would likely use a pseudonym and alter their tactics such that I would be forced to read more of their posts before I realized that that person's posts are also worthless to read. Or worse yet somebody else may decide to take up the spirit of ES's cause (anarchy) in light of their board martyrdom.

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-21, 12:16 PM
Sorry, I guess I got caught up in all chaos of the "Life on Mars" forums. Please accept my apologies too :( .

Spacemad
2004-May-21, 01:01 PM
I really don't think his ideas are worth getting all worked up over. Take them for their entertainment value. Chuckle and move on. TheThorn Posted on May 21 2004, 01:42 AM

I think that is the best attitude we can have, TheThorn, we don't want him/her coming back in disguise or looking like a martyr.

kashi
2004-May-21, 02:26 PM
You guys should just do what I do and not read anything in the alternative theories section. :)

StarLab
2004-May-21, 03:30 PM
You guys should just do what I do and not read anything in the alternative theories section.
Please, kashi, do not try convincing people to boycott a forum&#33; Some people actually enjoy those non-ES topics, and we don&#39;t want to discourage people from using a forum&#33; <_< :rolleyes: :ph34r:
Afterthought: As a matter of fact, we should be adding more forums... :P B) ;)

DippyHippy
2004-May-21, 04:14 PM
Kashi, I&#39;m not really interested in any Alternative Theories either - but I&#39;m a moderator and so are you. So every now and then I go in there to make sure the rules aren&#39;t being broken, just as I go into all the other sections that don&#39;t really interest me.

I stand by my decision to delete her topics for being in violation of rule #6. What&#39;s the point of having rules if you&#39;re going to umm and ahh about them?? If you have rules, ENFORCE THEM&#33; You can&#39;t have a rule and then say "oh, well I suppose it&#39;s alright if we allow Person A to keep spouting their crap because no one&#39;s really interested anyway"

I also stand by what I said elsewhere; if you allow one fruitcake to post, you&#39;re going to get more of them. And are you going to stil say "oh well, I supose it&#39;s alright for them to post cos no one&#39;s really interested anyway" when more and more of these idiots come along?

Alternative theories are fine when they&#39;re backed up with credible evidence and credible scientific backing, in terms of either the poster&#39;s own credentials or the credentials of the person who originated the theory.

That&#39;s all I asked of ExtraSense and she&#39;s clearly unable to provide any such backing. She&#39;s only here to post her crap and that makes her in violation of rule #6. She&#39;s had fair warning.

ExtraSense should be banned.

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-21, 04:20 PM
I&#39;m with DippyHippy.

Duane
2004-May-21, 05:16 PM
Wah&#33; The poll is gone :(

StarLab
2004-May-21, 05:32 PM
We don&#39;t need it, &#39;cuz the vote&#39;s unanimous.

Greg
2004-May-22, 07:24 PM
I am not sure that banning the name will stop the person. Some websites are capable of banning the isp code in order to block the person at their computer source. Of course that won&#39;t stop them from using a different isp to originate their posts, but it will force them to expend alot more effort to continue their "Cause". Aside from barring the isp, containing their posts might be a better option, say limiting them to one forum and then ending their threads prematurely on that forum. Frustration in this sense may be a better deterrant than outright banning. Frustration in the sense of ignoring them probably won&#39;t work as you suggest sinec there are always others who will chime in to support them, fueling their fire so to speak.

StarLab
2004-May-22, 07:57 PM
I&#39;m with you Greg&#33; :ThumbsUp:

DippyHippy
2004-May-22, 08:56 PM
I say you have to at least try. You can&#39;t just give in without at least trying to stop them. You might just as well move to France.