PDA

View Full Version : Sand-frogs On Mars

Tiny
2004-May-24, 10:14 PM
It's kinda curious about the article on the Magazine I read on the other day, they said, some frog can survive even on dry and waterless world(well mostly deserts with a little bit water in the Morning and dry right after the Sun rise.) Does the situation similiar to Mars?

Example : Flat-headed frog
http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/pictures/bloat.gif They can storage water and live under the sand or hide inside the sand for a peroid of times.

SkyBoard
2004-May-24, 10:20 PM
They can storage water and live under the sand or hide inside the sand for a peroid of times.
Oh, boy I only wish that there was water on mars! I doubt that there's even sand on Mars...seems to be made up just of crusty rocks...

Tiny
2004-May-24, 10:24 PM
Evidence only shows that the water was once flowing on Mars, but it doesn't mean Mars is 100% complete dry...

kashi
2004-May-25, 01:04 AM
liquid water cannot exist on Mars because the atmosphere is too thin. It behaves like carbon dioxide does on Earth, and sublimes from a solid directly to a gas.

Deep_Eye
2004-Jun-01, 08:29 PM
So in other words, you're living thing would die. ALL living things need water (if only very rarely)

zrice03
2004-Jun-01, 10:16 PM
The frog would dry out pretty quickly because of the low atmospheric pressure. Also, it would get a bad sunburn from all the UV light bombarding the surface. Then, there's no oxygen. It wouldn't survive more than a few minutes.

Duane
2004-Jun-07, 05:15 PM
As part of terraforming, should we ever go ahead with it, some form of life from Earth will need to be found to that can survive Mars' climate.

VanderL
2004-Jun-07, 09:48 PM
some form of life from Earth will need to be found to that can survive Mars' climate

Like (the dramatic voice of Richard Burton) " minute, invisible...... bacteria"

From War of the Worlds , I forgot who recorded that album, Wayne something or other.

Cheers.

Duane
2004-Jun-07, 09:54 PM
Ha! Welcome back VanderL, hope the trip was excellent.

VanderL
2004-Jun-07, 10:11 PM
Hi Duane,

Yes, Malta has some incredible temples and a Hypogeum (an underground temple complex that shows how the above ground temples were like, this one is completely intact) of about 4000 BC, including many artifacts like statues of the Mother Goddess.
And it has a nice climate right now (too hot in the summer though), very friendly people (even when the population is doubled by the tourists, including some very loud types) so yeah it was great, thanks for asking.

Cheers.

suntrack
2004-Jun-10, 12:08 PM
i had the same question with mr.Fraser that whether frog can survive on mars?
i asked this question 1 and half month before, when i was not entered in the forum,
well, but the methane which is largly available on mars and due that frog cannot survive as fraser told me, in this regard detail study require. I also raised the question that why not also to send dezert rat on mars.

sunil

Tinaa
2004-Jun-10, 02:33 PM
Animals need oxygen to breathe and Mars has very little, if any, oxygen in the air. Maybe bacteria or very cold hardy plants, though I can't think of any. Fungus, lichen?

BlackTearsofapril
2004-Jun-14, 09:10 PM
Psh

No life can currently live on mars. It has too low of an atmospheric pressure, and it also has no magnetic feild. Therefore, there is so much radiation, that nothing can survive there.

itswhts4dinner
2004-Jun-15, 12:45 AM
I think we're all looking at this with a list of "absolutes." We don't know that all life requires water. All we know is that all life on Earth requires water to some degree. We've never encountered any other sort of life, so yes, it's true for now. But we can't jump to the conclusion that all life requires water.

Jeremy

GOURDHEAD
2004-Jun-15, 12:43 PM
No life can currently live on mars. It has too low of an atmospheric pressure, and it also has no magnetic feild. Therefore, there is so much radiation, that nothing can survive there

But then there's the subsurface of Mars where all sorts of squiggleys could survive and prosper. If most of the earth's interior heat comes from radioactive isotopes why not a similar energy source on Mars. We know there is plenty of carbon and water on Mars. We don't know for sure that water is required for life (although I believe it to be) but we know life has an easy time of it when water is available.

Greg
2004-Jun-20, 03:22 AM
I think that based on what we know about Mars that life certainly can exist there. By life I mean in the microscopic form. There is water and temperatures that go above freezing at the surface in some parts. It is very likely that liquid water exists below the surface in at least some areas. Radiation does not penetrate very far below the ground. There is undoubtedly internal heating below the surface of Mars, much like exists on Earth (several miles below the surface temperatures already reach 90 degrees). There are very likely areas that are geologically active as well beneath the surface. There are bacteria on Earth that survive in environments as extreme or moreso than on Mars.
The big question really is whether lefe ever got established on Mars. Was it wet and warm enough for long enough for smple organisms to evolve? If not, could microorganisms from Earth or even interstellar space debris have seeded Mars with microorganisms? If so, then I think it is highly likely that such life continues toe exist today. If we go far enough under the surface or find geologic hot spots where there is subsurface liquid water, then we should find it.

sarahnade_me
2004-Jul-05, 09:06 PM
I haven't read all of the replies yet, but I don't think we know as much as we think we know. We are finding animals every day that exceed our knowledge of life as we know it. Who are we to say? I think we need to stop thinking so much and keep our eyes on the prize. We spend to much time trying to figure out stuff that won't really matter much. Sorry too many people knowing too little lately. Not on here just in general! :rolleyes:

RATNIK
2004-Jul-06, 06:43 AM
Ancient Bacteria is the answer, live in the harshest environments found in the world, high, low temperature, high low pressure, etc unimaginable environments.....put few of those there and watch em grow.....in few thousand of years of course, as they would hopefully adopt., of course also be monitored and helped by us. Sounds good to me but since they(researchers) are not thinking about it, there's something wrong.

sarahnade_me
2004-Jul-06, 02:14 PM
Don't forget that it's not going to be just like when we go on a regular archaeological dig. There are going to be soooo many precations taken when the bacterial samples get back from Mars. Think about the plagues that were brought on just from crossing an ocean. Think about the customs programs of the future. I pray that whatever they bring back isn't dangerous. Who knows it could be the end of us if they are not careful.

Floored_Music
2004-Jul-09, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by itswhts4dinner@Jun 14 2004, 05:45 PM
But we can't jump to the conclusion that all life requires water.

I fail to see any jumping to conclusions on this, which is not to say that conclusions cannot be drawn from known facts. After all, science is about drawing logical conclusions from observable circumstances, not jumping to them simply because we cannot prove otherwise. All KNOWN life requires water in some form. Without an example of some obviously living thing that does not require water from which to form a baseline to identify such life, it's highly unlikely we'd even recognize it as "life" at all. Without such standards we should immediately recognize every grain of sand as a living thing simply because we cannot definitively say it is not.

In other words, short of a bite in the arse or a detailed anatomy manifesto from said lifeform, speculating on it's existence might as well be relegated to the same discussion as to whether or not there is a god(dess)... nobody will ever be able to prove it doesn't exist so many will presume it does on sheer faith alone.

Even non-observable scientific theories require some basis in observable facts from which to build on through speculation. As our ability to test those theories improves over time they are either born out or abandoned. But until even a kernal of non-speculative evidence to say otherwise appears, any life without water might as well be pure fantasy.

So, life, by the definition of it's only observed circumstances - right here on Earth - does indeed require water, even in the harshest of locations.

I think I prefer to keep my "eyes on the prize" AND think about it too... unless of course somebody changes the TV to the SciFi channel :P

Sphinx
2004-Jul-09, 02:10 PM
:lol: LOL. Quiet amusing and I agree. The only possible evidence of life on mars will probably be a fossile of some form or a colony of bacteria burried below the surface in some methane pocket. Either way, we'll be digging to find any life..........oh sorry, as we know it.

Floored_Music
2004-Jul-09, 06:07 PM
Ooops, sorry, did I let my anal retentive side show a bit too much there? heheheh :blink:

sarahnade_me
2004-Jul-09, 06:51 PM
You man the face on Mars isn't a "man" made object. *whimper* :D

sarahnade_me
2004-Jul-09, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry...what I meant to say was mean not man. i really am smarter than that.