PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Binary Black Holes Modeled On ...

Fraser
2004-May-25, 09:51 PM
SUMMARY: Researchers from Penn State University have developed a computer model that describes the interaction of a binary black hole system; where two black holes orbit one another. Previous models have fallen apart because the gravity of the black holes distorts the surrounding space so dramatically, it's almost impossible to calculate. This unusual situation could generate gravity waves detectable from Earth, which so far have only been theorized by mathematicians.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-May-25, 09:55 PM
I was interested that the modelling of this simplified scenario is so difficult computationally. I guess that it would be even tougher to model to Kerr Black Holes with a great deal of spin and frame dragging.

Eric Vaxxine
2004-May-26, 09:55 AM
I can't quite fathom Black Holes. Where does all the matter go ?I would expect matter falling into itself to explode.

GOURDHEAD
2004-May-26, 01:13 PM
This unusual situation could generate gravity waves detectable from Earth, which so far have only been theorized by mathematicians.

It's more likely that the theorizing is done by cosmologists or astrophysicists than mathematicians. However, I find it beyond my ability to imagine a gravity wave much less theorize how it would be generated or how I would know whether I had detected one.

Can anyone provide or refer to a primer on gravity waves?

Consider the sphere of smallest volume that could totally enclose the orbits of two or more orbiting black holes. What is the predicted effect on a test mass located 100 times the radius of this sphere from gravity waves due to the orbiting black holes according to current theory?