PDA

View Full Version : The Shape Of The Universe

Ola D.
2004-May-28, 03:21 PM
Today morning, i was reading the news paper and i found a very interesting article.
It says that a German physicst said that the universe is taking the shape of the Eiffel tower with a very pionted infinite end. Morever, researchers at the University of Ulm created a model that looks like an isosceles with very long sides to represent the shape of the universe they suggested.

Frank Steiner , professor of Quantum Physics, added that our knowledge in Physics supports this modified new model. Furthermore, he said that this model isn't spread yet , although some scientists agreed on it.

However, other scientists added that is hard to know the shape of our universe because ,according to what they believe, the universe has no borders, but is of a finite mass or quantity. (i didn't get that by the way!)

Actually i have no links for this topic... :(
I have alot of questions and wonders concerning this conclusion. Can anyone help explaining it more? How did they modify the previous model ? How did they conclude that ?

John L
2004-May-28, 03:33 PM
New Scientist Magazine did the story first, I think. My office firewall won't let me get to that site, but I was able to find another link to it here (http://www.phenomenamagazine.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Area+51&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=&obj_id=889).

They called it the Trumpet Shaped Universe, and the idea is that we're in the big end. I'm not sure what the basis for this is, and I haven't seen anything in observations that support it, but its another theory. Another one they claim was recently disproven is that the universe is shaped like a big soccor ball.

Ola D.
2004-May-28, 03:39 PM
thanx alot , that was helpful :)
I'll search for more concerning this issue.. But if you find any links or information please keep me updated. Thanx again

GOURDHEAD
2004-May-28, 03:50 PM
Humbug! Bafflegab! Not to mention hogwash! Strong opinion to follow!

From our perspective and with current instruments we can't see enough of the universe to tell the difference between a sphere, a trumpet, a saddle, a soccer ball, ad infinitum. I'll stick with a spherical shape until hard facts drive me to a different conclusion.

Doesn't being able "to see the back of your head" imply a gravitational field sufficiently strong to rip you head from your neck and make quark soup out of the remnants?

StarLab
2004-May-28, 04:57 PM
Nah-ah. This article makes noo sense. Why? Because the universe cannot expand in one direction! :o :angry:

Humbug! Bafflegab! Not to mention hogwash! Strong opinion to follow!
This shape-of-universe model is Humgabwash! :ph34r: