PDA

View Full Version : Telescopes and Halloween

hullaballo
2002-Oct-18, 02:03 PM
God willing and the clouds stay away, I will be pulling out the 'scope for Halloween viewing. Any ideas of the best things to look for in these light polluted Dallas TX skies?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Oct-18, 02:10 PM
Well, the moon will be past last quarter, so that is out--but it's also a plus, as skies will be darker. You could get up early to see it and the planets that are visible.

Try the double cluster that David Hall recommended in this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2439&forum=2).

hullaballo
2002-Oct-18, 02:26 PM
I'm looking for early evening objects, for the trick or treaters you know.

Russ
2002-Oct-18, 08:03 PM
I've had good results with the Pleadies, Mizar/Alcor quadruple stars, and any planet that might be up.

I'll be out with my scope if the clouds stay away. They've been a real pain the last two years.

Hale_Bopp
2002-Oct-19, 03:44 AM
Well, the Pleaidies will not be up early when the munchkins are likely to be out. Mizar is getting low in the norhtern sky from here (southern Wisconsin).

I think Alberio is a still a pretty good early evening target. M31 might be high enough also (its great around 9 pm). The Double Cluster is also a good target.

I also have a fondness for NGC 457, an open cluster in Cassiopea. It is sometimes called the Dragonfly cluster or the ET cluster due to the pattern of stars.

I might do the telescope thing for Halloween now that I have a house with a yard!

Rob

Superstring
2002-Oct-20, 01:34 AM
Also, I believe planet Saturn will rise into view with a magnitude near -0.1. It will be located between Taurus and Gemini at the top of Orion's Club. Jupiter will also be, with a much brigter magnitude, rise as well, though it may not be until after all the tricker treaters are long gone.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Oct-20, 04:18 PM
On 2002-10-19 21:34, Superstring wrote:
Also, I believe planet Saturn will rise into view with a magnitude near -0.1.
Saturn will rise around 9:30 (depending on your location within the time zone), so most young trick or treaters will be back home before it is high enough to get a good look.