PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: New Black Holes Found In A ...

Fraser
2004-May-29, 06:17 AM
SUMMARY: A team of European astronomers has used a virtual observatory to find 30 previously undiscovered black holes. The team combined images from several observatories (Hubble, Chandra, ESO) in many wavelengths of light (from infrared to X-ray) into a comprehensive computer catalog of the night sky. They uncovered these new black holes by looking at galaxies which are edge on, so the supermassive black holes at their centre are obscured by a cloud of gas and dust. By comparing between the different wavelengths of light, they were able to spot the new black holes.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-May-29, 10:29 AM
Madman's techniques are becoming mainstream! :) I'd like to see the composite discovery images.

2004-May-29, 03:20 PM
horrible :o , its a scary thought to know there are so many of these things out there

StarLab
2004-May-29, 03:31 PM
its a scary thought to know there are so many of these things out there
Yeah, but the chances we would be stupid as to get too close to one in the future...infinitesimaly small... :whew!:

I like the "photo" that ESA took...so cool, man!

2004-May-29, 04:13 PM
What are the 5 factor for detecting supermassive black hole? The only one I know was a star orbiting nearly faster than the "C" in the center...

John L
2004-Jun-01, 03:12 PM
This clearly shows the power of the virtual observatory concept. To be able to take so many diverse observations and combine them into a single comprehensive study should help advance the study of the astronomy and cosmology greatly. I look forward to future results from this system.

Deep_Eye
2004-Jun-01, 08:14 PM
I'm looking even more forward to the new space telescope that is suppose to be Hubble's replacement. (not that I want Hubble done away with)

John L
2004-Jun-01, 10:01 PM
The James Webb Space Telescope will be a Hubble on steroids. It will have a mirror of twice the diameter and cover the visible to infrared spectrum. This telescope is the only reason I have no problem seeing the Hubble scrapped.

Deep_Eye
2004-Jun-01, 10:12 PM
The James Webber Telescope (couldn't remember the name earlier) will also have 10 times the light gathering capability that Hubble did. :)
Even so, it is sad to see Hubble go...it should at least be put in a museum.

Greg
2004-Jun-03, 03:58 AM
The JWT will be better in optical wavelengths, but not necessarily as good in other ways as the hubble. As far as combining multiple wavelengths to see a common object, it's about time. This will be important on the order of magnitude the same as adjusting telescopes for atmospheric blurring is now. Much will be learned from this. I also think that finding these quasars at different wavelengths could be a thorn in the side of the CREIL effect proponents.