PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Venus Returns, Right On Schedule

Fraser
2004-Jun-08, 04:25 PM
SUMMARY: Sky watchers from around the globe had the opportunity to witness a rare transit of Venus across the surface of the Sun - an event that hasn't happened for 122 years. Observatories and amateur astronomers made their equipment available to the public so they could watch the black disk of Venus make the transit for themselves. Most of the Americas had a poor view of the transit this time around, but they'll have a front seat when the next one occurs in 8 years.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

DippyHippy
2004-Jun-08, 09:50 PM
I finish work at 6:30am, here in England, and I was trying to look at the webcasts but for some reason, the ISP thingy here at work had a funny about 5 mins beforehand and none of the graphics on any sites were coming up..... grrrrr... :angry:

Cygnus X-1
2004-Jun-09, 02:36 AM
I live on Long Island, N.Y., and was lucky enough to have time to head out to a beach on the north shore. I missed sun-up (5:21am local), but clouds were kind of thick, mid-level; I'm sure sunrise was obscured.
When I arrived at the beach at 6:00 am, the clouds were breaking, drifting SSE.
I had to sit it out for a few minutes, but I observed a large break in the cover heading for the Sun. All I had with me was a set of welding goggles and a pad & pencil ( w/sharpener ;) ).
The Sun came out of the clouds, revealing it's visitor. Venus was at about "three o'clock", which was surprising to me; seeing all the charts for Europe and Asia, I thought it would be lower. An amazing sight. I sketched four images, about 15 minutes apart, showing a little motion to the western limb before contact. Then..... more clouds.
The experience through my own eyes, placed more perception, in my mind, of the scale of the Solar System. Remarkably "cool"! B)

2004-Jun-09, 09:54 AM
Look on Venus transit from 6.6. 1761 and on our transit (8.6. 2004).
You can take in account also older and next transits according "official astronomical" tables.
Difference between these two mentioned transits is 243 years, 2 days and 3 hours...

There are shifts between next June (in calendar between 6.6 and 8.6....) transits circa 2 days. So we have 2 days shift per 243 years and it makes 365 days per circa 44000 years....(It is not too precise calculated here..)
Why?
Sun with our planets make opposite motion toward Nemesis, one orbit per 26000 years...
Planes of planets orbits must change their inclinations toward zodiacal constellations, ecliptic so that they must point toward Nemesis...

Precession is not due to spinning of earths axis (jojo motion..) but due to opposite motion of planets with Sun toward Nemesis.
There is involved also Planet X and so it is little more complicated...

ct
2004-Jun-09, 04:10 PM
it really is GREAT to see so many members of the public so gripped to this event, it trully does tell us that astronomy is still loved and still fasinates people in a way nothing else can- good for them!!
my experience of the transit was, well a little simple, just projecting the telescoped image onto a white table-mat... but just seeing that little guy run across the face of the sun with my own eyes is something that i don't think i will ever forget.

One thing that i couldn't stop thinking about was the way i had seen graphs in books and magazines about the scale of the solor system and how i heard how very, very small the inner planets were compared to the sun, but until yesterday when i had the oppertunity to witness the size of venus against the sun, none of what i had seen in the books really meant anything, but yesterday- IT REALLY, REALLY DID!

most people would agree that this event wasn't important scientifically-no, but boy was it important for promoting the science of astronomy, and getting people off of their backsides and behind a telescope for maybe the first time in their life.

I look forward to seeing the next transit in 8 years time, that is, if i can get the money together to fly half the way around the worldat the age of 20... but who cares, for something that great, theirs always a way of making the money!!!

mike boggan
2004-Jun-09, 05:07 PM
The Venus Transit was a Dud where I live.
I spent ages making a Solar filter for my telescope, packed all my gear in the car, and went to work with it all.
I set it all up and had about 12 people lined up to see it, Guess what, at the moment of contact, a bloody great cloud formation got in the way and spoiled it all. It had been almost clear all day(my transit started at 3:07pm until sunset).
I got a short glimpse at contact, but that was it. Boy was I mad.
Now I have to wait 8 years.......with no guarantees of success.

Mike :(

Pavel Smutny
2004-Jun-12, 02:30 PM
Again Venus transit
It happened 8.6. 2004 direction-constellation Taurus (above ORION)
Mercury transit was 7.5 2003
Moon in front of Venus-12.5. 2004
Mars in closest opposition to Earth per many thousands years in August 2003
Moons eclipse in 16. 5.2003 and total eclipse in 9.11.2003
Moons eclipse in 4.5.2004
Suns eclipse in 31.5. 2003
Gatherings of planets 1999, 2002,2004- aprox in Taurus above ORION

Earths aphelia-4.7.2004

Why were there so many so rarte astro happenings in so short time interval??!!
It is because orbital planes of indoor planets must point toward comming Planet X ?(due to its gravitational forces) and because PX was crossing ecliptic before circa 3 years?
Planets half axes so must point on direction of comming PX so circa on end of Aries (Taurus), on constellations above ORION.

Why Medards drop (8.6-Venus transit) is 40 days dropping? (Slovak proverb)
Why rain during flood was 40 days long?
PX in perihelia goes according Senmut map...in distance 120 millions km from Sun (simmilar how Venus...but circa 20 degrees above below ecliptic...)

antoniseb
2004-Jun-12, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Pavel Smutny@Jun 12 2004, 02:30 PM
Why were there so many so rarte astro happenings in so short time interval??!!
Only one of the events mentioned is rare. The others happen quite frequently. Eclipses [Solar and Lunar] happen between two and seven times a year. Nothing here to explain.

As to the planets needing to align for PX. That's bologna. The planets move in very regular predictable ways.