PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: New Simulation Improves Ideas Of ...

Fraser
2004-Jun-09, 06:26 PM
SUMMARY: A new simulation of galaxy formation developed at the University of Chicago does a much better job of predicting what astronomers actually see when they look through their telescopes. The simulation is based on an extension of the Big Bang theory called the "cold dark matter theory" that describes how early galaxies collided and merged to create the different objects we see today. Dwarf galaxies which orbit larger galaxies seem to be a key to this process.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Greg
2004-Jun-10, 06:07 AM
I think this study underscores just how much we do not know about the parameters involved in galactic evolution. One little adjustment in the model can yield radically different results. It does not boost my confidence level in the validity of the theory very much.

VanderL
2004-Jun-10, 09:44 AM
I think this study underscores just how much we do not know about the parameters involved in galactic evolution. One little adjustment in the model can yield radically different results. It does not boost my confidence level in the validity of the theory very much.

I agree, it's the danger of computer simulations, also known as GIGA, (garbage in, garbage out) as mentioned in several other threads. If it fits the real world, or if it fits predictions, there is always a triumphant undertone: mystery solved!

Cheers.