PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Spaceshipone Set For Launch In A Week

Fraser
2004-Jun-14, 06:30 PM
SUMMARY: In just one week Scaled Composite's SpaceShipOne will make an attempt to become the first privately-built vehicle to reach space - an altitude of 100 km (62 miles). Thousands of people are expected to show up at the runway in California's Mojave Desert to watch the launch and suborbital flight. This won't be an official attempt to win the Ansari X Prize; however, but the company is planning to try for the $10 million prize if this flight is successful. Billionaire Paul Allen has contributed $20 million to the development of SpaceShipOne.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Tiny
2004-Jun-14, 06:48 PM
fraser, something wrong with the "full story link", when I click on it, it takes me to other website....

gavinstilton
2004-Jun-14, 07:41 PM
Excellent news. such a well designed craft too! the main body looks just like a 1940's sci fi comic rocket ship. hopefully these can be manufactured in relatively large numbers soon.

Fraser
2004-Jun-14, 07:58 PM
That story was linked to a New York Times article, not a press release.

John L
2004-Jun-15, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by gavinstilton@Jun 14 2004, 02:41 PM
Excellent news. such a well designed craft too! the main body looks just like a 1940's sci fi comic rocket ship. hopefully these can be manufactured in relatively large numbers soon.
I don't think that's Burt Rutan's plan, at least not large numbers. The ship is a simple design, but the cost of running it would be prohibitive unless you've got a major bank roll to pay for this thing. Rutan isn't going to give out manufacturing and operating costs until its officially working (made the X-Prize flights), but I've read estimates of $100,000 a flight.