PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Armadillo Completes Test Flight

Fraser
2004-Jun-17, 04:40 PM
SUMMARY: All eyes will be on Mojave next week to see if Burt Rutan's SpaceShipOne can reach 100km (62 miles) of altitude, but another team in Texas could be hot on their heels. Armadillo Aerospace's John Carmack reported that a prototype of his team's rocket completed a successful test flight this week. The rocket lifted off from the launch pad, flew to a height of 40 metres (131 feet), and then returned to within less than 0.3 metres (1 foot) of its starting position. Carmack isn't sure his team will be able to meet the deadline to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize, but they may push to make an attempt if Rutan's team fails.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

John L
2004-Jun-17, 04:58 PM
John Caramack is the guy who created the games Doom and Quake, for those that don&#39;t know. He&#39;s basically a Marc Cuban style eccentric guy who made an ungodly fortune and now does whatever he wants, whenever he wants. <_< I&#39;ve been to his website, though, and he may stand a chance to win. They&#39;ve been testing for quite a while. It all depends on whether Rutan&#39;s launch suceeds or not...

PatColvin
2004-Jun-17, 09:39 PM
I think it is such a kick that these amateurs have done in their garage (practically) what the McDonnell Douglas couldn&#39;t do with the DC-X with SCADS more money. :lol:
Seems to me that the American pioneering spirit is still with us. :)

zephyr46
2004-Jun-18, 01:49 AM
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=10147

Sir Richard Branson seems to have caught the space bug as well, seeing all the attention on Rutan, he must realize he can&#39;t loose publicity.

Well, best of luck to them all. :)

Tom2Mars
2004-Jun-18, 03:37 AM
I wonder if Sir Richard would be interested in a nice, low-cost, mostly solar-powered launch system? And a Space Hotel with artificial gravity? Hmmmm... ;)

zephyr46
2004-Jun-19, 02:38 AM
Mad if he didn&#39;t T2M, mad if he didn&#39;t.