PDA

View Full Version : The First "true" Starship

imported_Ziggy
2004-Jun-19, 03:24 PM
While most people would say that the voyagers and pioneer were the first "starships", there main purpose was to explore the outer solar system, leaving the solar system didn't have any "real" scientific purpose. When the human race launches it's first "true" starship that's main purpose will be to explore near-by systems, what should we name it? I'd go with Daedalus, in honer of the greek legend that tells the story of a person named "Daedalus" escapeing his island prison by flying away, just like the first starship would be escapeing the prison of the solar system to touch the face of the universe. Or I would name it simply, Earth, or Sol.

antoniseb
2004-Jun-19, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy@Jun 19 2004, 03:24 PM
When the human race launches it's first "true" starship that's main purpose will be to explore near-by systems, what should we name it?
Or we could name it Ziggy after the screen-name of the guy who in the first two decades of the twenty-first century became the chief proponent and funding philanthropist that made the mission possible.

Or we could name it after the destination [something NASA seldom does, but the Soviets/Russians usually do], so maybe Alpha-Centauri Probe One.

Spacemad
2004-Jun-19, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by antoniseb@Jun 19 2004, 04:40 PM

Or we could name it after the destination [something NASA seldom does, but the Soviets/Russians usually do], so maybe Alpha-Centauri Probe One.
:) I think that's a great idea - except I would get rid of the word "Probe" & leave it just in destination plus a numeral.

imported_Ziggy
2004-Jun-19, 09:40 PM
Raising the funding...that might be a bigger problem then building the ship it'self :lol: .

Greg
2004-Jun-19, 11:53 PM
I agree with naming the starship after its destination and numbering it. Once we have craft that become reusable I would favor naming it after somebody or something.

John L
2004-Jun-23, 03:57 PM
Since unleashing the human race onto the rest of the universe will produce millenia of chaos and destruction, I think we should name the first interstellar craft appropriately:

The Tumult
The Bedlam
The Discord
The Entropy
The Pandemonium
The Ruination
The Mayhem
The Plunder

I'm a little pessimistic today...

Duane
2004-Jun-23, 05:48 PM
How could anyone consider naming it anything but Enterprise?

eburacum45
2004-Jun-23, 06:29 PM
The Enterprise is a nice name; but it will probably get squandered on a testbed version.
The real first one might be called the Zheng He, if the future of manned spaceflight is in the hands of Taikonauts rather than astronauts...

imported_Ziggy
2004-Jun-23, 07:18 PM
Your right Duane. Enterprise would be the best name. Nothing better then good old Enterprise...