PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Despite Critical Failures, ...

Fraser
2004-Jun-22, 05:15 PM
SUMMARY: A few hours after the historic flight of SpaceShipOne, pilot Mike Melvill and designer Burt Rutan revealed that the trip to space wasn't worry free. Far from it, in fact. A technical glitch in the early moments of the rocket burn caused Melvill to lose control, and SpaceShipOne rolled back and forth. He was forced to switch to a backup system to keep the spaceship from being destroyed. Training and backup systems carried the day, though, and Melvill was able to regain control of SpaceShipOne, and gain enough altitude to just barely reach 100 km (62.5 miles). At least one more test flight is planned to ensure this mistake is resolved before risking the pilot and spacecraft on an official X Prize attempt.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Cambo
2004-Jun-23, 12:38 AM
I wish them all the best for the future.
Such people are to be applauded for their efforts and bravery. Sounds corny but I can't think of another way to put it.

Tiny
2004-Jun-23, 02:34 AM
It may seem to be risk ;) but while thinking going outer space or take a look at the vast space, I think it's ok even fail...

Greg
2004-Jun-23, 08:02 AM
Thee problems will probably take them out of contention for the X prize. Still quite a remarkable achievement. My thought is that they should take a cue from NASA regarding adding layered composite materials on the ship. Like the foam on Columbia's external fuel tank, they have a tendency to become brittle in the cold of outer space and peel off if not managed with extreme caution.

Guest_ct.
2004-Jun-23, 10:59 AM
the time has finally come, a normal person has reached space. what an achievment.
Doen't the x- prize rules state that he has to go up again withen three weeks and with a crew of three- or did I just make that up?
good luck for the future!