PDA

View Full Version : A school working with NASA

nebularain
2002-Oct-23, 02:11 AM
This is cool!

http://www.sunspot.net/technology/bal-md.lighthouse13oct13,0,3670226.story

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nebularain on 2002-10-22 22:12 ]</font>

beskeptical
2002-Nov-03, 06:47 AM
Doesn't show the page Neb. Oh well. Some of my links did the same thing.

nebularain
2002-Nov-03, 02:32 PM
Oh, well, it must be that some news item get deleted after a time. Let's see if I can remember the gist of it for you. Some graduate students at UMBC worked out of a lighthouse to help NASA track a satellite. I forget what the significance of that was, though. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Jigsaw
2002-Nov-03, 09:19 PM
Is this it?

http://www.umbc.edu/newsevents/insights/article.html?issue_id=11&news_id=624

UMBC Crew Tunes Up NASA Satellite from Virginia Lighthouse

Laser Beams, Weather Balloons, Helicopters All Part of a Week's Work

14 miles offshore from Virginia Beach, UMBC physicist Wallace McMillan and a rotating crew of scientists are firing lasers into the night sky and launching weather balloons by day to make sure a new multi-billion-dollar NASA research satellite is working properly.

For two months, McMillan and his crew are taking turns living and working aboard the Chesapeake Light, a 1960's-era U.S. Coast Guard lighthouse platform with a panoramic view of the Atlantic. Chesapeake Light looks a bit like an oil-drilling rig, perched on a rusty steel frame 75 feet above 34-foot-deep waters. Manned from 1965 to 1982, Chesapeake then became automated and in recent years has hosted experiments by NASA and the US Navy.

"We provide product validation," says McMillan. "We're measuring air temperature, water vapor content, sea surface temperature, and so on, around the clock, and then comparing those to the same measurements taken by AIRS." [more]

All I did was search Google for "grad students umbc satellite".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jigsaw on 2002-11-03 16:21 ]</font>

nebularain
2002-Nov-03, 09:32 PM
Yes, that was it - thanks!