PDA

View Full Version : Triton's Retrograde Motion

Littlemews
2004-Jul-05, 08:15 PM
Well I know this was an old topic but it might be good if we discuss it here once again :) So what do you think about this moon? Where did this moon came from? What cause it to orbit its mother planet backward? The relatively high density and the retrograde orbit has led some scientists to suggest that Triton may have been captured by Neptune as it traveled through space several billion years ago. Travel? Like the gravitational pull from the sun suddenly turn off and flight away? What do you think...?

antoniseb
2004-Jul-05, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Littlemews@Jul 5 2004, 08:15 PM
What do you think...?
I'm guessing Triton had an orbit similar to Neptune's in the early days of the solar system, and on one close pass it collided with a smaller moon of Neptune in such a way that it ended up in a retrograde orbit. Over the eons, tidal [and other] effects circularized the orbit somewhat.

Duane
2004-Jul-05, 11:20 PM
My guess would be that it formed closer to the sun and interacted with Jupiter, causing it to be flung out of its orbit and into a highly elliptical one that went deep into the Kuiper belt. During a pass by Saturn the moon fell into Saturn's gravity well and was captured.

antoniseb
2004-Jul-05, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Duane@Jul 5 2004, 11:20 PM
During a pass by Saturn the moon fell into Saturn's gravity well and was captured.
Oh, are we talking about Titan, my mistake, I thought we were talking about Triton.

Duane
2004-Jul-06, 12:50 AM
HA! Opps! :blink:

I meant Neptune of course :)