PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Star Magnifies Gravitational Lens ...

Fraser
2004-Jul-07, 04:56 PM
SUMMARY: The Chandra X-Ray Observatory has found a galaxy which is working as a gravitational lens to provide an incredible view of a distant quasar 11 billion light-years away. Not only that, but a single star in the galaxy is further magnifying the image, giving astronomers a look at the very heart of the quasar. This natural lens is so powerful, that it allows astronomers to see details 50,000 times better than what they could see with Hubble or Chandra. One detail they'll be looking for is how gas flows into the supermassive black hole that powers the quasar.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

faraway-star
2004-Jul-07, 04:58 PM
that's a great find,
good to see the Chandra X-Ray Observatory is doing so well

Fraser
2004-Jul-07, 07:25 PM
Chandra's doing great. The thing with Chandra is that you NEED to have an observatory in space to observe the sky in the X-ray spectrum - the Earth's atmosphere blocks it. It's not like we could have ground-based observatories see what Chandra's seeing.

Greg
2004-Jul-08, 08:31 AM
This finding is going to be very hard to explain for those proponents of CREIL and other steady state theories.

VanderL
2004-Jul-08, 03:50 PM
Well Greg,

Actually no thsi fits also in a CREIL ( or other intrinsic redshift) model, because there is no need to explain the 4 dots as lensed objects. Maybe it would fit even better,

Cheers.

Greg
2004-Jul-08, 09:38 PM
Well I should have been a little more specific, but the hour was late. One of the central arguments of CREIL and like steady state theories is that quasars really arent distant objects being magnified, rather they are nearby objects mistaken for distant ones. This evaluation not only neatly explains and supports the mechanism of gravatational lensing, but describes with good detail what is being seen. I think the findings are really quite fascinating, to be able to see so clearly into such an object so far away when we cannot even see our own SMBH with any clarity. I am having a great deal of difficulty explaining these findings any other way. But perhaps that only revelas the limits of my knowledge on the matter.