PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Wallpaper: Saturn's Rings In ...

Fraser
2004-Jul-08, 05:57 PM
SUMMARY: When Cassini swept past Saturn last week, it analyzed the planet's rings in many spectra to help scientists understand their composition. Here's a 1024x768 wallpaper of the rings in the ultraviolet spectrum, which shows that there is more water ice toward the outer part of the rings. The red in the rings indicates more "dirty" and smaller particles, while the turquoise is ice.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

baselle
2004-Jul-09, 05:54 AM
I'm fascinated by the false color of the bands/density waves that comprise the rings. Why are they all so very sharp? Red 'mud', right next to blue ice, then next to red mud again. Its almost like the grooves of a phonograph record (yep, I know that analogy dates me).

I can see why the edge that are guided by a shepherd moons would be sharp, but hundreds and hundreds of bands?

Cool site - I've been lurking for months now. --baselle

:blink:

spedmen
2004-Jul-09, 06:02 AM
What I personally think is that they should stick to exploring one planet at a time, they already spent billions of dollars trying to get and getting to mars and now they are starting to think of all these other planets, they should have a priority list!

well that was just a small thing that came to my mind :D not about the story itself

2004-Jul-09, 03:40 PM
Where are the pictures? It doesnt seem there are that many pictures being released to the media.