PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: The Search For More Earths

Fraser
2004-Jul-12, 07:55 PM
SUMMARY: When astronomers first realized that the stars in the sky were like our Sun, only more distant, they wondered if those stars had planets too. And if they have planets, is there life? Intelligent life? There's an answer - yes or no - but we don't know it yet. NASA and the European Space Agency are working on a series of space and ground-based observatories that may help get an answer soon. In just a decade, you could gaze into the night sky, locate a star, and know that there's life there. Life could be everywhere.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

GOURDHEAD
2004-Jul-12, 08:02 PM
Life could be everywhere.

Well not exactly but certainly all over the universe.

Fraser
2004-Jul-12, 08:08 PM
I said Everywhere!!

sarahnade_me
2004-Jul-12, 08:21 PM
It's truly is amazing how far we've come in such a short time. I hope that they find out soon, because I am so sick of the egotism in this country! Why would be the only ones anyways? What kind of methods are they going to use? I hope whatever they do works because I'm also sick of hearing about these crazy Jupiter planets that go around their suns in 4 days.

Sarahnade_me in texas :D

antoniseb
2004-Jul-12, 09:26 PM
This is a nice summary of the various space-based efforts to find planets.
Note that SIM has also been tagged as a tool to find the precise distance to certain key stars. It will be getting the information a little before the Gaia mission we were talking about a few weeks ago. The two of them have about equal resolution for that task, but Gaia is designed to catalog billions of stars and SIM has other jobs.

Victoria
2004-Jul-12, 10:26 PM
Imagine...a Universe full of life B) . Spectacular the way science is expanding :D .

alien worlds
2004-Jul-13, 01:33 AM
this is the way space sience needs to go, answer the question
are there other forms of life even simple alien lifeforms in habitation of these wonderful worlds
outside worlds discovered by recent exo planet observation techniques

Fraser
2004-Jul-13, 02:16 AM
Once Darwin and the Terrestrial Planet Finder are launched, I think we'll get the answer. We won't know exactly what kind of life is on those planets, but we'll be fairly confident that it's there.

Tinaa
2004-Jul-13, 05:53 AM
Extremophiles here on Earth may gives us a clue on where to look. Therophiles thrive in extremely hot conditions and are anaerobic. Psychrophiles live in ice and salty sea water. Acidophiles "eat" sulfur from vents in the bottom of the ocean. Halophiles love extemely salty water. Life can be found in the most unlikely places.

Guest_smvasagam
2004-Jul-13, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by GOURDHEAD@Jul 12 2004, 08:02 PM

Life could be everywhere.

Well not exactly but certainly all over the universe.
[FONT=Times]
I personally and strongly believe that there should be extraterrestrial life in the universe. This because our whole nature has created the universe and milky way.I think nature will not waste it's energy by creating earth alone. We human beings are one of the forms created by the nature and there could be much super intelligent living beings and inferior beings also. Nature tries all possible combinatio :D .

sarahnade_me
2004-Jul-13, 03:45 PM
Who knows what life could be out there. I saw a program about bacteria that could be reanimated after being heated up. It was in ice. We need to think outside the box people. i mean it's not "rocket surgery" :) Life could truly be everywhere we are just to pompous to find it. Evolution and God need to kiss and makeup...that is the only way I think that we will truly move forward. :wub:

Greg
2004-Jul-13, 05:40 PM
I am actually quite surprised at the number of potentially valuable and exciting missions in the works. I had believed that NASA's efforts were the only ones ongoing. All I can say is that it is a great time to be alive, with a treasure trove of potentially stupendous findings about to be made. I am sure that some if not many of them will serve as insipiration and endlessly fuel the imagination of thousands of generations of people to come. As for the concept of panspermia alluded to, in some form I think the concept is quite possibly valid. Unfortunately some of its proponents distort a potentially good idea in ways that make people chuckle as they read the title of whatever abstract they read and then promptly disregard the concept entirely.

hoarem
2004-Jul-13, 08:31 PM
The truth is really out there then,and by the sounds of things we are going to know in our lifetimes, fantastic. Lets hope that while they are checking for signs of oxygen in the atmospheres, that they remember to calibrate for Co2 as well <_< and then we would know if they had reached the same point in evoloution as us.

Algenon the mouse
2004-Jul-13, 10:49 PM
I recently saw a NOVA episode that says that many huge stars emit large amounts of radioactive beams into space thereby sterlizing a lot of the know universe of life. In spite of this, I am still hopefully that we can find life somewhere out there. (sounds like a song).

Greg
2004-Jul-14, 06:06 AM
There are not many stars that do this. The vast majority of stars in the galaxy are release relatively harmless amounts of radiation to any Earth-sized planets around them. The big stars they are alluding to are likely to be found in unusual places like stellar nurseries in the midst of a collapsing interstellar cloud or pulsars or black holes which emit alot of harmful radiation towards orbiting bodies in their vacinity.

damienpaul
2004-Jul-14, 01:09 PM
There are lifeforms that live within igneous rocks, such as those found in hawaii (http://www.spacedaily.com/news/life-04a.html).

Archaea (http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/archaea/archaea.html) are the group of extremophiles as Tinaa mentioned. these are thought to have flourished on a Hostile Early Earth environment (http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/life/earths_primordial_environs.html) where there is believed to have been little or no oxygen, thus allowing UV radiation a free path to the surface.

So as many have said, it may not be intelligent life, but as Fraser said:

Life could be everywhere. could ring true.

hoarem
2004-Jul-14, 08:30 PM
Yes Greg, but what I find fantastic is the fact that in the history of civilisation or mankind for that matter, the earth and the solar system have not yet done a full orbit of our galaxy and no one knows whether we are on a collision course with a black hole, or a supernova,because we could&#39;nt survive the radiation in the future, so as the old adage goes, "live for today because tomorrow may never come?&#33;"

2004-Jul-18, 11:30 AM
these missions sound great, it would be so great to image another wolrd like earth and think of how it would change our perception of te universe

2004-Aug-03, 10:10 PM
overview about the Kepler Mission over here:
Kepler (http://www.keplermission.com)