PDA

View Full Version : Herndon's Model Of The Earth's Core

antoniseb
2004-Jul-15, 12:53 PM
J. Marvin Herndon sometimes writes papers that fall into the Alternative Theories realm. Today in arXive he has posted a paper saying that the inner core of the Earth is not Iron and Nickel alloy, but rather is Silicon and Nickel poly-crystal.

His arguments have a lot to do with abundances in meteorites, but he matches his data to current seismic data, and he also proposes some tests to tell if he's right. One of which involves the detection of low-energy anti-neutrinos, looking for some from the Earth's core.

Here's a link to the paper:
Background for Terrestrial Antineutrino Investigations: Scientific Basis of Knowledge on the Composition of the Deep Interior of the Earth (http://www.arxiv.org/ftp/hep-ph/papers/0407/0407148.pdf).

Like forum member Dr. Manuel, Herndon spends a certain amount of his paper complaining that the main science community has basically ignored his ideas.

devilmech
2004-Jul-16, 09:44 PM
The link seems to be broken.

antoniseb
2004-Jul-16, 10:24 PM
Lets try it again:
Herndon's Paper of July 12, 2004 (http://www.arxiv.org/ftp/hep-ph/papers/0407/0407148.pdf)

The old link was missing the ".pdf" at the end. It has been fixed there too.

devilmech
2004-Jul-16, 11:04 PM
Well, it seems to make about as much sense as the currently accepted model of the earth's interior. It took me a while to research, but I checked a few of his ratios, and they seem to line up with what is possible. I'm not quite sure though, whether this model does anything for science, or is merely a curiosity that can only be solved by direct experimentation, which no one has devised a way to do yet.

antoniseb
2004-Jul-16, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by devilmech@Jul 16 2004, 11:04 PM
I'm not quite sure though, whether this model does anything for science...
I agree, it is not clear what it does, except that it opens up some options when looking at the events leading to planet formation. This would allow some things that the Iron core model wouldn't. He seems to think that anti-neutrinos can tell us something about the interior, but I am not so certain.

StarLab
2004-Jul-17, 12:32 AM
Jeeze. Iron-nickel alloy and Silicon-Nickel poly crystal do not sound much different. What intrigues me is the theory floating around that the earth has a uranium/plutonium deposit at its center which contributes to the earth's magnetic field.

Kesh
2004-Jul-17, 06:06 AM
Well, at least that gives me a story idea for how an evil overlord could blow up the planet. :D

StarLab
2004-Jul-17, 05:10 PM
You're very welcome. :lol: ;) :o :rolleyes: B) :P :D :ph34r: :unsure: