PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Spirit's Got A Bad Wheel

Fraser
2004-Jul-18, 05:44 AM
SUMMARY: Engineers with NASA have decided to get Spirit to drive up the Columbia Hills backwards because of an ongoing problem with one of its wheels. The problem cropped up a few months ago, when one of its front wheels started getting extra resistance; they've tried heating it, and giving it rest, but nothing's worked. Spirit is now keeping the wheel locked, and then driving backwards, dragging it along like an anchor. This has saved power, but slowed down its speed a bit. Spirit will still use the wheel when it's trying to cross difficult terrain.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Jul-18, 09:45 AM
I hope Spirit can get close to a few out-croppings before calling it's travels over entirely. I'd also kind of like for it to climb to the top of one of the hills and get a nice panorama.

sarahnade_me
2004-Jul-18, 04:27 PM
Well, that little guy sure has done a lot already. No matter what happens this was definately a good stepping stone for the future. I mean even if hed been totally unsuccessful it would have still been a learning experience, but these guys have gone well beyond what they were sent there to do.

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Jul-19, 10:45 AM
Mars isn't so harsh?! It is supposed to be freezing, irradiated, hostile beyond parallel. A bad wheel for Spirit, is like me breaking a finger nail in a snowstorm.
I think Mars is going to be friendly for us in the next 200 years.