PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: European Cargo Ship Begins Testing

Fraser
2004-Jul-20, 04:02 PM
SUMMARY: The European Space Agency's first Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) has arrived Noordwijk in The Netherlands to begin extensive testing. Dubbed "Jules Verne", this ATV is the first of seven cargo ships under development by the ESA, which will supply the International Space Station with food, water, oxygen and scientific equipment. If all goes well, the tests should be complete within six months, and then the ATV will be shipped off to the European spaceport in French Guiana to be launched on top of an Ariane 5 rocket.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2004-Jul-20, 04:03 PM
These types of Vehicle are good and could become important in the future, nice to see someone trying this idea

Duane
2004-Jul-21, 12:19 AM
Seems kind of wasteful though:

But there's one more job for Jules Verne: it will bring waste material from the space station back towards Earth to be completely incinerated high up in the atmosphere

I am assuming it is basically a bigger, newer, nicer Progress with the added ability to boost the station and act as another area for astronauts. Shame they couldn't find a way to make it reusable.

Tom2Mars
2004-Jul-21, 02:52 AM
Shame they couldn't find a way to make it reusable.

I agree wholeheartedly Duane!!

And anytime something costs between $4,000 and $10,000 to get into orbit, it's a resource, whether it's pee(water and stuff), poo(water and nutrients), food scraps(nutrients), empty booster tanks, supply vehicles, you name it. They could put everything into the empty cargo vessels and freeze them up if they need to, someday there will be greenhouses. Or, having so much stuff stockpiled might make them decide to build a greenhouse sooner.

Oh, I am so going to blow these hacks out of the water soon. And, on a budget too! :angry:

Max
2004-Oct-16, 12:22 PM
The problem with leaving all of these craft in orbit is that you then increase the probability of collisions. I agree it would be nice to leave the stuff in orbit if it could be done safely. Perhaps you could minimize the risk by hooking them all together.