PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Doughnut Around A Black Hole

Fraser
2004-Jul-20, 04:41 PM
SUMMARY: An international team of astronomers have found new evidence that massive black holes are surrounded by a torus (aka a doughnut) of gas and dust that can block our view if seen edge-on. The latest observations were made using the Integral and XMM-Newton space observatories, which looked at NGC 4388; and edge-on spiral galaxy located 65 million light years away. The team was able to determine the thickness and composition of the torus by looking through it at the radiation coming out of the supermassive black hole.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2004-Jul-20, 05:08 PM
hey that's an increbible detector, it's amazing what other stuff comes out in an x-ray spectrum starnge galaxy shapes, blackholes, neutron stars and other incredible stuff B)

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Jul-21, 12:14 PM
Are there any black holes that we can peer into perpendicular to it's doughnut?

antoniseb
2004-Jul-21, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Eric Vaxxine@Jul 21 2004, 12:14 PM
Are there any black holes that we can peer into perpendicular to it's doughnut?
Radio-loud Quasars are probably just that. From your question though, I'm guessing that you'd like to peer into one that is not actively accreting new material, so that we can see the black center and a gravitational lense. We haven't spotted one of those yet.

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Jul-22, 08:50 AM
Thank you Antoniseb. It ust struck me that they probably look the same from all angles? I would also like to know if in particle physics we have an equivalent of a black hole?

antoniseb
2004-Jul-22, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Eric Vaxxine@Jul 22 2004, 08:50 AM
I would also like to know if in particle physics we have an equivalent of a black hole?
In what way equivalent? Do you mean a very small Real Black hole, or equivalent in some other way?

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Jul-22, 12:56 PM
Perhaps something that exhibits similar characteristics (not that I know what those all are except Black Holes 'suck' matter into themselves !!??)
A black hole miniature.

antoniseb
2004-Jul-22, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Eric Vaxxine@Jul 22 2004, 12:56 PM
Black Holes 'suck' matter into themselves
There is no known particle that absorbs other particles. It would be difficult to do that and conserve various quantum numbers such as lepton number, spin, charge, etc.

There is a thought that we could make tiny black holes by smashing heavy nuclei together with enough energy. However the quantum barrier is so small for such an object that it would evaporate the contents away in less than a nanosecond [maybe much less, I'm speaking off-the-cuff, and don't have the number in front of me]. This black hole would not have time to absorb new matter except in extremely rare circumstances.