PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Space Initiative Gets Big Budget Cuts

Fraser
2004-Jul-21, 04:33 PM
SUMMARY: President Bush's new space initiative received a major setback this week when the members of a House appropriations subcommittee passed a tentative budget that would fund only a fraction of the President's new plans. The panel suggested that NASA should receive $15.1 billion next year, which is a drop of $229 million from last year (NASA was actually hoping for a 5.6% increase). Development of the new Crew Exploration Vehicle would be delayed, and funding would be cut to Project Prometheus - a new nuclear propulsion technology. This isn't a final approved budget, however, as there are many more steps for the final decision is made.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2004-Jul-21, 04:37 PM
How horrible :angry: what's happening to the Bush Mars plan now? Bad finances in the US, the cost of Iraq and scandals in the USA are hurting it all, so much for a steady dollar. There a big issues with safety in space exploartion now, so Mars looks like it could be some trouble :( . Is this why some called it an election stunt?

Marion
2004-Jul-21, 04:47 PM
I won't miss the Mars venture because I don't support it anyway. I am concerned, though, about the potential loss of other research projects. The unmanned space program is achieving great things now with Cassini and the Mars Rovers. These projects are improving mankind's knowledge of the solar system without any risk to human life. It would be very sad if these projects, and future ones, were curtailed because of budget cuts.

Guest_Dawn
2004-Jul-21, 08:17 PM
Big Budget cuts?!?

I'd love to get $229 a year...when compared to 15.1 billion $229 dollars is spare change...

Tinaa
2004-Jul-21, 08:41 PM
Whe you are talking about budgets it is 229 million dollars not 229 dollars!

Dawnnamira
2004-Jul-21, 08:43 PM
That isn't what the article said... ;)

But, I think it's kind of amusing to hear them complain about losing any amount...

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Jul-21, 09:13 PM
There is much on the net about this, I've been reading many remarks. Some people are unhappy about it

This appears to be Bush's decrease taxes and increase spending coming home to roost. We have to improve veteran's benefits to "support our troops". NASA's in that same spending pile, and Congress seems to be saying, "you can't have that new space initiative project and everything else.

there was headlines on yahoo news

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/n...ess_budget_dc_2 (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040720/pl_nm/congress_budget_dc_2)

Quote:
House of Representatives subcommittee on Tuesday backed a $92.9 billion spending bill that cuts funding for President Bush's plan to send humans to Mars and trims money for science and environmental programs.

Republicans and Democrats said the squeeze on the 2005 appropriations bill covering the Departments of Veterans Affairs, Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and other agencies was prompted by the budget deficit, which is expected to set another record.

"The budget crunch that we all knew was coming has finally arrived," said Florida Republican Bill Young, the chairman of the House appropriations committee.

But Democrat Rep. Alan Mollohan from West Virginia said the spending allocation was "totally inadequate."

Republicans say the budget deficit, which is expected to top a record $400 billion this year, results from the costs of fighting terrorism in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. But Democrats blame it on Bush's tax cuts, which they say also squandered the surpluses he inherited upon taking office three-and-a-half years ago.

The bill, approved in the subcommittee by a voice vote, cuts funding for the National Aeronautics

This is incredible, there is a lot of talk on the net on this one why is this happening ? I suppose it was clear to some that something bad was coming and the cynical and more experienced could read from the announced idea known as the Bush plan he never intended on going to Mars,
he also said he'd be dumping the ISS, but others have spoken out against this

Hadn't GWB vowed to retire the orbiter by 2010 come hell or high water ?
The Senators Mr Bill Nelson and Kay Bailey Hutchinson have said first step of this new journey to explore with this new mission is to finish the work on the International Space Station and fulfill the commitment to the US partners and allied nations.
U-Turn for ISS. Did the Senators miss the Bush memo ? Their article was published in Sunday's Florida Today

Others are saying to keep going on the ISS, so should it be done or should the spacestation allowed to die?

it's incredible how they can just allow something like the ISS to burn up, They better not let it burn up because I think that is very silly I had been looking on the plans for future Mission and possible future projects such as Spectroscopy missions, planet hunting ideas and big scopes in space and many of them had plans for an international effort or at least to have a spacestation by orbiting close to ISS the projects could have been brought alongside every while and have new mirrors and features added.
Now these latest plans are totally destroying other projects before they get off the ground

and the new designs proposed for space were some piece of work Bush really expect a craft that can both ferry astronauts to space stations, and to the moon a type of 'Jack of all Trades' space craft the shuttle was built this way and there lay some of its flaws. Did anyone hear heard George Bush junior even mention the space program since he's been in office until the aerospace industry took a hit and the Chinese started doing something...is it any wonder they called it an election stunt. Now this new exploration vision has been called for but and then Congress have refused to fund something that won't go. Also how could Bush have expected his wonderful vision to get passed without him pushing for it... ever since he declared it? There seem to be other issues at hand now economics, the cost of rebuilding Iraq, and financial scandals and the lack of jobs , the unsteady dollar and more bad US politics. There are many unhappy at www. spacepolitics dot com , was it Just $372 million that was provided out of the $910 million Bush wanted for initial preparations for manned missions to the Moon and Mars. Which had included just one-fourth of the $520 million he proposed for the crew exploration vehicle, which NASA envisions as the eventual replacement for the space shuttle. What doies this mean, they approved 1/3 of the Vision? Maybe that part was just the 'scrap the shuttle by 2010' ? Now the people in Washinton say the economics aren't good, the economy has been down and the now face a tight budget, the House of Representatives subcommittee backed a much smaller $92.9 billion spending bill that cuts President Bush's plan to send humans to Mars and takes money away from science and environmental programs going on in the USA.

Facing a tight budget, a House of Representatives subcommittee on Tuesday backed a $92.9 billion spending bill

...cuts funding for President Bush's plan to send humans to Mars

Republicans and Democrats said the squeeze on the 2005 appropriations bill covering the Departments of Veterans Affairs, Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and other agencies was prompted by the budget deficit, which is expected to set another record.

"The budget crunch that we all knew was coming has finally arrived," said Florida Republican Bill Young, the chairman of the House appropriations committee.

But Democrat Rep. Alan Mollohan from West Virginia said the spending allocation was "totally inadequate."

Republicans say the budget deficit, which is expected to top a record $400 billion this year, results from the costs of fighting terrorism in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. But Democrats blame it on Bush's tax cuts, which they say also squandered the surpluses he inherited upon taking office three-and-a-half years ago.

The bill, approved in the subcommittee by a voice vote, cuts funding for the National Aeronautics

This is a serious devolpment, I think it's very sad to see NASA this way I hope it can fix it's problems, NASA has been wonderful in the past. It's terrible to see stuff like this allowed happen.

And all of this happening on the aniversary of Apollo 11, this should not be happening at this time! NASA has been great in the past, and the wolrd was proud of what it has done
putting people in space, building spacestations and landing on the Moon. Let's hope NASA can get through this.

Tinaa
2004-Jul-21, 09:32 PM
Dawn please go to the top and click on NEWS under the UT rocket. There you will find the complete article.

DippyHippy
2004-Jul-21, 11:47 PM
ROTFLMAO :lol: I'm not surprised in the slightest - I'm only surprised it's happened this quickly. I don't even know why Bush made that ridiculous speech in the first place because not enough people would support it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: like a certain other controversial subject, Bush is just trying to do what his Daddy couldn't. We went nowhere after Bush Sr. said we were going to Mars and that's exactly how far we'll get this time too.

StarLab
2004-Jul-22, 12:00 AM
My mom told me today she wouldn't vote for Bush. I can see why now. He's so negatively controversial and makes the worst compromises. He's like: "OK, let's send men to Iraq and start a war effort, but let's cut taxes." He's supposed to raise taxes for the war effort, not lower them!
And on this space initiative, he gets the gov't involved more than ever before in the future NASA program, and them he cuts funding and spending for NASA! He's just all over the place, in the wrong way. :ph34r: :angry: :o :blink: :unsure:

Fraser
2004-Jul-22, 02:39 AM
No, Dawn's right, I made a typo. It was supposed to be $229 million, not $229. :-)

Greg
2004-Jul-22, 06:56 AM
It is always depressing to see how little the government invests in its future through spurring technological developments and programs that generate it. Basically the government is mortaging its future down the toilet to pay for other less worthy casues, most noteworthy the war in Iraq. The more that time passes, the more it looks like a colossal misadventure that we will be paying for with the currency of more frequent terroist attacks generated by xenophobic hatred resulting from disasterous foreign policy moves like this one in the muslim world. I see no end to these kinds of problems so long as we remain so insensitive to the general sentiment in that part of the world. So we end up paying more for defense (and unilateral preemptive offense) and less on brightening our future with technology needed to stay ahead of the rest of the world.

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Jul-22, 01:07 PM
What the industry needs is a new fuel that cuts the costs of space travel in half. More than that, future space travel needs to be in Private hands. Take toys away from the Goverment and they want them even more.
<_< I still have trouble understanding how roving around on Mars or flying close to Saturn helps us beat cancers, stops drought, feeds the poor or helps the human race learn some environmental manners and Earth husbandry. Perhaps it&#39;s more intelligent to seek out a new place to live, rather than fix the old one.

StarLab
2004-Jul-22, 02:28 PM
EricVaxxine, you disappoint me. :( <_< :ph34r: :o Astronomy is of course not the only branch of science&#33;

Marion
2004-Jul-26, 07:35 PM
Why is finding a new place to live more intelligent than fixing the old one? Wouldn&#39;t the new home just end up like the old one?

It seems to me that if we run away to a new home for that reason, we&#39;re really running away from our problems as well. And just waiting for them to catch up with us.

Tom2Mars
2004-Jul-27, 01:00 AM
Marion, since I agree, and couldn&#39;t say it any better, let&#39;s hear that again...

Why is finding a new place to live more intelligent than fixing the old one? Wouldn&#39;t the new home just end up like the old one?

It seems to me that if we run away to a new home for that reason, we&#39;re really running away from our problems as well. And just waiting for them to catch up with us. :rolleyes:

2005-Mar-10, 06:06 PM
Voyager getting axed, they are talking about it this week
&
cutting outer planets budget

Nature quotes Lennard Fisk, a University of Michigan space scientist who chairs the National Academy of Sciences Space Studies Board and is a former head of NASA space science, as saying the cuts were "an extremely foolish thing to do".