PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Icy Enceladus

Fraser
2004-Jul-23, 03:11 PM
SUMMARY: Cassini took this image of Saturn's moon Enceladus on July 3, 2004, when the spacecraft was 1.6 million km (990,000 miles) away. Enceladus is fairly small, only 499 km (310 miles) across, but it's covered in water ice - it's the most reflective object in the solar system, reflecting 90% of light that strikes it. The moon has smooth and lightly cratered terrain, and many features which are similar to Jupiter's Ganymede and Europa. Cassini will make its first close flyby on February 17, 2005.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Jul-23, 06:35 PM
Enceladus might be a nice spot to stop and get a drink on your way out of the solar system. With a little effort, it might also make a nice neutrino observatory.

2004-Jul-23, 06:45 PM
It is interesting that it has smooth surface features, much unlike other Saturnian moons. I am not sure of its orbital characteristics, but does it undergo tidal heating that would cause it's surface to be smooth from underlying water ice like Europa?

damienpaul
2004-Jul-24, 12:12 AM
are you planning to build a house there, anton?

Tom2Mars
2004-Jul-24, 01:40 AM
from Damienpaul-
are you planning to build a house there, anton?

And if you are Anton, remember, I'll beat anyone's price! How far down does that neutrino observatory have to be by-the-way, about 1 kilometer? B)

antoniseb
2004-Jul-24, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Tom2Mars@Jul 24 2004, 01:40 AM
How far down does that neutrino observatory have to be by-the-way, about 1 kilometer?
I'd be interested in trying to make everything except the outer kilometer part of the neutrino observatory. It would be able to detect supernovae up to about a billion light years away.

Eclipse
2004-Jul-24, 04:29 AM
If memery serves, Enceladus and Dione revolve around Saturn in resonance.
With Dione being much larger, if it were ever inhabited, then perhaps Enceladus could be used as a solar reflector, providing Dione inhabitents with more then twice the sunlight and heat as any other of Saturn's moons would recieve.