PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Hubble Might Be Saved

Fraser
2004-Aug-10, 05:55 PM
SUMMARY: NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe has announced that he will be asking the US Congress to approve up to $1.6 billion to send a robotic mission up to the Hubble Space Telescope to make repairs and keep it operational for many more years. He said that he was "actually astonished" at the progress that NASA engineers have been making with a robotic solution. NASA still has no plans to send a human mission to the telescope, but they could know within six months if the budget for a robotic mission gets approved.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

om@umr.edu
2004-Aug-10, 07:04 PM
Amazing stories, Fraser.

Your recent news story on NASA's robot may be the key to solving the problems reported in your subsequent news story on the Hubble Space Telescope.

With kind regards,

Oliver
http://www.umr.edu/~om

Mike Ashcroft
2004-Aug-10, 11:03 PM
Fantastic story.
It will be money well spent if it goes ahead. Even if it fails, it will be worth the attempt as a technology driver. Makes me think of R2D2 and 3CPO of starwars. It will be science fiction of the past coming true.
Lets hope it is approved.
Mike Ashcroft U.K.

James Friesen
2004-Aug-10, 11:36 PM
I think spending money and resources on Hubble is a waste of time. The money would be better spent on Hubble's replacement. Learn from past designs, mistakes and successes, and then build new ones, don't keep spending money on old technology that is, after all, expected to eventually fail, especially at a time when our space fleet is down.

The only good thing to come out of this is the advancement of robotic technology. This could, however, be accomplished by using the robot in a new and different project. Then we would be advancing robotics AND get a new project underway as well. I mean, why don't we just use the robot to fix the muffler on my car. It would cost a fraction of the 1+ billion they are asking for. If you insist on it being a space project, launch my truck into orbit and fix it there, so long as I have it back by next Tuesday. I have a dental appointment. Hey! Wait a sec! A robotic dentist?

2004-Aug-11, 04:00 PM
We have done great by putting people on spacesations and on the moon but what is this now ? Another silly looking robot gadget that maybe won't even function !

I think NASA should take the Hubble very seriously, we need a manned mission up there to save Hubble, it's time to improve NASA build better craft and retunr people to space. Now is not the time to be making costly silly looking gadgets that take many man hours and billions of dollars and then blasting them up to hubble and hope for the best. It's time for NASA to get real and start making things right again.