PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Photograph the Perseids Tonight

Fraser
2004-Aug-11, 04:48 PM
SUMMARY: Tonight's the night when the Perseid meteor shower reaches its peak of 60 meteors/hour, and if we're lucky, a new filament of material from Comet Swift-Tuttle will give the event and extra boost. One way to make the moment last is to capture images of meteors with your camera; but, it's as hard as it sounds. First, you want to have the darkest skies you can find, and don't start until after 9:00pm. Use a standard 35 mm camera secured to a tripod, and use very fast film: ISO 400, 800 or 1,000 is recommended. Pick and area of sky, focus on infinity, and then start your camera's exposure, and then stop when a meteor streaks through the area. Don't be afraid to experiment.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Tiny
2004-Aug-11, 05:14 PM
Now I only wish the Sun pop up suddenly at the Horizon... because the weather here seems like some kind of spooky, cold, heavilyness clouds and dark. Probably might miss this chance to see such phenomenons :( .

astronomy2004
2004-Aug-11, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Tiny@Aug 11 2004, 05:14 PM
Now I only wish the Sun pop up suddenly at the Horizon... because the weather here seems like some kind of spooky, cold, heavilyness clouds and dark. Probably might miss this chance to see such phenomenons :( .
same here :(.
why can't it rain another day :(

Tinaa
2004-Aug-12, 03:26 AM
Photograph? I'd like to just see the meteor shower. Big Thunderstorm just blew in. Happens every time.

Algenon the mouse
2004-Aug-12, 06:36 PM
I plan to go out tonight and photograph them. I know it peaked yesterday, but I could not get out the city. I still saw one BIG meteor go by though.

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Aug-13, 02:19 PM
It just rained on the parade here in london. Maybe someone in the Mojave made a movie of it.

This planet is pretty quiet in relation to stuff falling from the skies.

Algenon the mouse
2004-Aug-13, 07:41 PM
I have an excellent video, but I need to figure out how to download one of the pictures and attach it here. We went to Table rock which gave us a spectacular view. I took my sister with me and she was truly amazed. (she had never seen the milky way before and to see that with all the shooting stars...)