PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Genesis Heads for Home

Fraser
2004-Aug-12, 11:12 PM
SUMMARY: NASA's Genesis spacecraft made an important flight correction maneuver on Monday, which put it on course to return to the Earth after more than three years in space. Genesis has spent this time collecting particles of the solar wind on ultra pure wafers of gold, sapphire, silicon and diamond. On September 8, it will send a sample return capsule into the Earth's atmosphere, which will be caught by specially trained helicopter pilots. The particles will then be analyzed by scientists in laboratories around the Earth.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

om@umr.edu
2004-Aug-12, 11:15 PM
This is great news, Fraser.

Results from the Genesis mission will hopefully be able to provide a YES/NO answer to the evidence we have shown for severe mass separation in the Sun.

I look forward to seeing the results.

With kind regard,

Oliver
http://www.umr.edu/~om

astromark
2004-Aug-13, 01:47 AM
I understand the need/want to recover these samples unpoluted. quickly.
but do you realy think plucking it out of the air is relistic and safe,?
Well 'they' obviously do. I would have thought the boy's have a good idea of what there in for. Zoom.....splash...Oops. bugger. lol. we wait with baited breth. when this mission was first mooted I thought this recovery idea was daft.. and I still do.

antoniseb
2004-Aug-13, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by astromark@Aug 13 2004, 01:47 AM
do you realy think plucking it out of the air is relistic and safe
This was the normal way for recovering film cannisters from the early spy satelites. The technology is fairly well understood and rehearsed.

astromark
2004-Aug-13, 12:20 PM
:huh: Well thats better than I thought then, I conseed to your wisdom. and confidance.
We need to find a better way of getting off and back this earth . :blink: Oops that looks wrong a...? mark.