PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Chandra Sees Clouds Coming Together

Fraser
2004-Aug-21, 08:22 PM
SUMMARY: A new image of Abell 2125, taken by the Chandra X-Ray Observatory, shows several intergalactic clouds of hot gas in the process of merging together; they seem to be in the process of creating a single massive galaxy cluster. Chandra's resolution allows astronomers to distinguish the clouds from the individual galaxies inside it.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

om@umr.edu
2004-Aug-22, 02:27 PM
This is an interesting story, Fraser.

Reading "between the lines", it seems that large variations have been observed in the abundance of iron.

"One of the clouds, which that envelopes hundreds of galaxies, has an extraordinarily low concentration of iron atoms, indicating that it is in the very early stages of cluster evolution.

". . . several galaxies in the Abell 2125 core cluster are being stripped of their gas as they fall through surrounding high-pressure hot gas. This stripping process has enriched the core cluster's gas in heavy elements such as iron."

I wonder if there are other plausible interpretations of these observations?

With kind regards,

Oliver
http://www.umr.edu/~om

antoniseb
2004-Aug-22, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by om@umr.edu@Aug 22 2004, 02:27 PM
I wonder if there are other plausible interpretations of these observations>
It is an interesting story, but I am curious to know if you have some other plausible interpretations of these observations of your own.

Do you have any idea what the relative abundances of the elements are that have been observed in these clouds? I don't get the impression that the clouds with the heavier elements have more than the Milky Way's ISM's worth of these things, but that some clouds are clearly primordial material that have never had stars form in them.