PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Gone for a Week... Now I'm Back

Fraser
2004-Aug-23, 02:25 AM
SUMMARY: In case you hadn't noticed, I didn't update Universe Today all last week. I was just in the process of working on Monday's issue when I found out that my Grandma was very sick in the hospital, and probably wouldn't last too much longer. I rushed back to Vancouver to see her, and she ended up passing away on Tuesday morning. She was 96, and had lived a long and happy life. I spent the rest of the week hanging out with my family, and attending the memorial - I didn't really feel like working on the website. :-(

Strangely, the news didn't wait for me, so I've spent the weekend catching up. That's why the next issue's pretty big.

Thanks for all your support.

Fraser Cain
Publisher
Universe Today

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

om@umr.edu
2004-Aug-23, 02:37 AM
I am glad you took time off to celebrate your grandmother's life, Fraser.

I seriously doubt if you will look back on this period and regret any of the spent with family instead of chasing the latest space news.

I lost my father last year, also 96 years old. The quarter century debate over the composition of the Sun had a few months gap.

I haven't regretted a minute of that time.

Hang in there, my friend.

With kind regards,

Oliver

2004-Aug-23, 08:27 AM
Dear Fraser
I am sorry that you missed your grandmother but I wish for myself and offcourse you such a long and happy life.
I visit your site everyday and thank you for such a good and high quality site .
Aliakbar from Iran.

damienpaul
2004-Aug-23, 08:52 AM
hang in there Fraser, I too, have lost a dear friend (yesterday), they live forever...

Damo

Keith Parker
2004-Aug-23, 06:13 PM
It would have been my father's birthday today. My deepest condolences to you & your family. We are all stardust.

Feratta
2004-Aug-23, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry about your grandma, Fraser...but she'll always be in your heart..you can't lose that connection with someone you love...
good to hear that you spent the whole week with your family instead of trying to catch up with the newsletter, because I lost my father 6 years ago when I was 17, and I wasn't able to be there with him in the last minutes..now I always wish I did..
at first I thought I must have accidently unsubscribed myself because I didnt get anything last week :P
love your site..and good luck with everything

gaelyn(Lynda)
2004-Aug-23, 06:25 PM
We were given memories that we might have roses in December. It sounds like you will have some special memories to carry with you Fraser.

Lynda

Don Finch
2004-Aug-23, 11:32 PM
Hi Fraiser,

Condolences to you and your family on the passing of your grandmother. My mother, who was 81, just passed on July 2. Sounds as if your granny lived a full life and no doubt played an important role in your life. Someone earlier made a reference to stardust which is just what I was thinking before going to the response page. We all are. Of course you would know most of all...

I really enjoy your website and the expansion of knowledge it always brings.

Don

Art Gormley
2004-Aug-24, 12:58 AM
I too extend my deepest sympathy to you and your family. Wish you the best.

Guest_John
2004-Aug-24, 05:44 AM
Sorry that your grandma had to go but feel happy for her that she had accomplished her earthly calling by living to such a ripe age.

Alejandro Tortolini
2004-Aug-24, 12:47 PM
Dear Fraser:
Im very sorry for your loss. Your Grandma must be very proud of you, because you share with a lot of people in all the world your knowledge site.
Be strong.
Alejandro Tortolini from Argentina

xXxDarkSkyNitexzxXx
2004-Aug-24, 01:13 PM
SOrry To hear ur grandmum have died my great mum died at the age of 98 dis january i felt sad too but 98 is really cool she might have seen a star birth or catch countless meteor shower. Dun be sad. Regards
louis 14 from singapore

Guest_Colin
2004-Aug-24, 01:48 PM
Just to add my condolences Fraser on the passing away of your grandmother. I lost both parents last year at the ages of 85 and 89 within 6 months of each other and although it hurts deeply and I miss them terribly I know they are still very close to me spiritually. Your grandmother will always be with you - love is forever.

Thanks for the great site and take care.

Colin

Chook
2004-Aug-24, 08:43 PM
Yep - sorry Fraser!

My dad is 98 and still living independently - but I think he will got withing the next year. Not looking forward to it because, although he has lived a long and full life, the separation will still be a shock, and I haven't experienced anything like this since the age of 19 when my mum died of the grog.

We'll see.

James Cancellari
2004-Aug-25, 04:42 AM
Frazer, My sympathies to you and your family. Thank you for the Universe Today.

withaGee
2004-Aug-25, 10:06 PM
Fraser,

My condolences to you and your family on your loss. Welcome back -and be easy on yourself for a while.

Gerry

Chuck Thum
2004-Aug-26, 12:41 AM
Congratulations Fraser,
Nice to see someone who thinks of their family, who are at the wake. If you were a professional athlete, you would have said, "my grandmother would not want me to miss an event". Your unselfishness is a breath of fresh air. Your grandmother taught you well.
Have a good day.

2004-Aug-26, 07:42 PM
please accept my condolences on passing away of your grand mamma and pray to God that you live longer than your grandmother.

Thank you for developing such a fantastic site.

javed iqbal

Saudi Arabia

judyptarmigan
2004-Aug-27, 01:47 PM
My sympathy for your loss - and my admiration for the great job you do on this website - thank you.

Victoria
2004-Aug-27, 11:05 PM
Beautiful.

5 yeerk
2004-Aug-31, 10:42 PM
I'm so sory about your grandmother.

my greatgrand father passed away a year ago at age 97.

Ireally enjoy your website though,I think your grandmother would be proud.

deepest condolenses,

Saphire Johnson