PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Be Safe Florida

Fraser
2004-Sep-02, 05:20 PM
SUMMARY: At the time I'm writing this, Hurricane Frances is bearing down on Florida, and should make landfall within the next 36 hours. More than a million people have been ordered to evacuate their homes to avoid what could be the worst hurricane in more than a decade to strike the coast. Unfortunately, it looks like NASA's Kennedy Space Center is right on target for the storm, and it could be hit by the most powerful part, called the "north wall". KSC has been evacuated, but the three space shuttles are secured in a building designed to survive winds of 168 kph (105 mph) - Frances has gotten to 233 kph (145 mph). It's going to be a nailbiter.

If you live in the area, definitely follow the evacuation instructions. I hope everyone stays as safe as possible.

Fraser Cain
Publisher
Universe Today

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

galaxygirl
2004-Sep-02, 06:18 PM
I hope everyone in the area made sure they evacuated- this looks like a very bad hurricane. Wow, two category 4 hurricanes in three weeks...

Stay safe

Guest_guest
2004-Sep-02, 06:42 PM
Bye Pavel.

jamerz3294
2004-Sep-02, 06:52 PM
My wife and I are Red Cross volunteers who came down to Florida after Hurricane Charley ravaged through. My parents live in Punta gorda, but happily were unharmed. Thier house suffered minor damage, but other family members (also unharmed, thank God) lost thier entire homes. So we have been doing double duty here, and now going into triple duty with the next "Storm of the Century" bearing down on us.
I really want to thank all the people that have donated to the hurricane relief effort, I can personally assure you that is appreciated!

TuTone
2004-Sep-02, 08:14 PM
I'm a claims adjuster for USAA, so I'm going to be busy with these claims over the weekend. Hope everyone will be okay. 2 cat 4 hurricanes within 1 month......wow!

damienpaul
2004-Sep-02, 09:14 PM
Stay safe folks, I'll be thinking of you all!