PDA

View Full Version : More People on This Forum

bossman20081
2004-Sep-04, 12:27 AM
Fraser, I think we should do more to get more people signed in and active on this forum. I dont know how, but thats the reason I made this thread. I know, I know, some people just post once and leave, its to be expected , but still, can we do anything?

StarLab
2004-Sep-04, 12:47 AM
I'm sure Fraser has tried as many things as he had set his mind to. Don't worry; if he or anyone else comes up with a new idea, I'm sure Fraser will try to carry it out. ;) :) B)

bossman20081
2004-Sep-04, 12:51 AM
I have complete faith that Fraser will try anything to get more people on this website, after all, more people mean more $$$ for him :o

Callisto
2004-Sep-04, 11:27 AM
One thing that's sure to help is to tell some of your friends who are into astronomy and they might join that's what i did. That's how I found out about this site, my science teacher really likes astronomy and since I want to be an astronomer he said he would help anyway he can and he's been helping me all these years and then finally he told me about this site and I checked out after like a month, at first I didn't like it because I didn't want to post anything, but then I gave it another try and I startede loving it. This site rocks, the first thing that I do after school is go on the computer and log onto universe today. So one solution is to spread the word. It works!

kashi
2004-Sep-04, 03:05 PM
Word of mouth all the way. Tell all of your friends, teachers, grandparents, skiing instructors etc... I think the forum is growing fairly steadily now anyway.

Algenon the mouse
2004-Sep-04, 05:44 PM
The forum seems to be fairly active. How many people are active users?

Mild mannered
2004-Sep-05, 08:03 AM
I'd like to see a lot more people answering the posts!

How times do we see 50 views and 1 reply?

Forum users - make more of an effort to comment - it doesn't take long and encourages posts.

Great forum though - I've recommended it to loads of people aleady. I love the news letters.

How much do people generally donate when they become regular users by the way?

bossman20081
2004-Sep-05, 03:29 PM
I try to put up a couple posts a day. I would post more to other stuff, but some of its too advanced for me. I would also tell my friends, but none of them care about space.... its sad isnt it?

rahuldandekar
2004-Sep-12, 01:23 PM
Its sad that very few people want to become interested or even professionals in astronomy. In my class, throughout school, I've been the only one. Most people only want to make money for themselves, and not discover somethings that will help mankind as a whole.

Fraser
2004-Sep-21, 04:43 AM
I think the case for most of us. My wife is incredibly supportive, but her eyes glaze over when I really get rolling. We need to connect and make friends with other people that share our interests all around the world. Don't worry about how much people do or don't contribute. This isn't a job, or jail, people will get as involved as they like. And enthusiasts will eventually find their way here and stick around.

zephyr46
2004-Sep-21, 05:23 AM
http://www.spacedaily.com/ has given up on its forums by the looks of it, UT could maybe add a space business subject for them, spaceguy seemed quite easy to talk too, though I haven't spoken for a while. Same with A/CC (http://www.hohmanntransfer.com/news.htm), that has never had a forum.

APOD (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040913.html) recently opened a discussion (http://nightskylive.net/asterisk/viewforum.php?f=9) at the nightsky live (http://nightskylive.net/) site.

This is some serious competition me thinks! :)

But, I still think UT would be better off starting a paper (http://www.universetoday.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4480&st=15).

Oh, and fraser, no, I am not a lawyer :lol:

zephyr46
2004-Sep-21, 05:33 AM
I noticed that the meal has sneaked off to the APOD forum :D

http://mason.gmu.edu/~dphan6/capone.jpg

The filthy rat! :D

Tom2Mars
2004-Sep-21, 06:17 AM
rahuldandekar, re-
Most people only want to make money for themselves, and not discover somethings that will help mankind as a whole.

And a lot of the money they earn goes to paying for the bills and overhead of maintaining the house, and utililties, and food and transportation. That's why I'm working on ways to reduce expenses for folks, and show how technology developments for human spaceflight and colonization can have direct application and benefits for people here, and now.

Hopefully, they could then meet their needs with fewer hours at a job and have more time to look up at the twinkling lights...and imagine. :rolleyes:

damienpaul
2004-Nov-14, 09:56 AM
which one is you zeph?

Chook
2004-Nov-14, 06:34 PM
Hey Fraser - I reckon we need a "Page-3". :D

(Call the topic Virgo. :P )

alfacolin
2004-Nov-14, 08:22 PM
My own experience with fora(?) is that you always seem to end up with a core of posters, the names may come and go but the numbers kinda average out the same.
A fairly technical & involved subject like astronomy/astrophysics will seem a bit daunting to newbies like myself and encouraging 'low-brow' discussions (like this) now and then can help to overcome this.

C.

Spacemad
2004-Nov-14, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by bossman20081@Sep 5 2004, 03:29 PM
I try to put up a couple posts a day. I would post more to other stuff, but some of its too advanced for me. I would also tell my friends, but none of them care about space.... its sad isnt it?
Hi, Bossman, Iīve not looked at this thread for several months but today I noticed that several people have posted here & your post in particular caught my attention because like you I, too, try to post once or twice a day at least. Some days I manage it, others I donīt. It is sad that few people seem interested in Space for more than the couple of minutes a news channel might dedicate to the theme on TV or the few lines that come up from time to time in the newspapers. :( .

But all the same we should give credit where credit is due & the BBC (public TV in GB) has just produced a really outstanding "Documentary/drama" series that was shown on TV a couple of nights ago. I saw it today as I had recorded it on my video because I was working the night it was shown for the first time. It combines real life documentary footage with computer graphics (along the lines of "Walking with Dinosaurs) & I throughly enjoyed it. :) Iīm looking forward to the next episode on Tuesday evening at 9 p.m. :)

zephyr46
2004-Nov-15, 03:41 AM
Are you talking to me?

Are you talking to me?

Are you, talking to me?

http://www.msu.edu/user/svoboda1/taxi_driver/pictures/travis_dn.jpg
(Taxi Driver) (http://www.msu.edu/user/svoboda1/taxi_driver/)
:)

Moseley
2004-Nov-15, 03:41 PM
Hi, I have just seen this forum for the first time after doing a search for details of a question I was posting elsewhere. I am astro-newb but keen to learn.
Best way to get new members is to keep having interesting discussions.

Chook
2004-Nov-25, 02:38 AM
Quote Mosely:
"Best way to get new members is to keep having interesting discussions."

We should take your advice. Great insight! :rolleyes:

Janice
2004-Nov-25, 02:55 AM
If you want more people around why don't you just befriend a science teacher and get them to tell their students to do their research on universe today? That's how I got here, I looked around, posted some things anonymously and got hooked! :P

Chook
2004-Nov-25, 05:00 AM
... just like a fish. :huh:

StarLab
2004-Nov-25, 06:49 AM
If you want more people around why don't you just befriend a science teacher and get them to tell their students to do their research on universe today? That's how I got here, I looked around, posted some things anonymously and got hooked! And that, Janice, should have been your excuse when you got caught laughing at a Bossman joke in the middle of class! :lol: !

damienpaul
2004-Nov-25, 06:49 AM
and us science teachers get hooked too....

Janice
2004-Nov-26, 03:23 AM
<_< Yes, Chook, exactly like a fish

bossman20081
2004-Dec-04, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Spacemad+Nov 14 2004, 05:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spacemad @ Nov 14 2004, 05:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bossman20081@Sep 5 2004, 03:29 PM
Hi, Bossman, Iīve not looked at this thread for several months but today I noticed that several people have posted here & your post in particular caught my attention because like you I, too, try to post once or twice a day at least. Some days I manage it, others I donīt. It is sad that few people seem interested in Space for more than the couple of minutes a news channel might dedicate to the theme on TV or the few lines that come up from time to time in the newspapers. :( .

[/b][/quote]
You and me both, I thought this thread died a long time ago :blink: . When did all these posts pop up?

Anyway, I guess everybody thinks spaceflight is routine now, hence its not interesting. I would have thought Challenger and Columbia would have been a wake up call to the world that its not as asy as it seems and its anything but routine.

Well, I dont get BBC, so I dont know what youre talking about <_< . But if you say they are making an excellent show about space, then I believe you and I applaud them, along with Fraser and his excellent site (alright, Im just sucking up now :lol: )

bossman20081
2004-Dec-04, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@Nov 25 2004, 01:49 AM

If you want more people around why don&#39;t you just befriend a science teacher and get them to tell their students to do their research on universe today? That&#39;s how I got here, I looked around, posted some things anonymously and got hooked&#33; And that, Janice, should have been your excuse when you got caught laughing at a Bossman joke in the middle of class&#33; :lol: &#33;
Errr... yeah, maybe we should put a warning on that thread :D

Big Brother Dunk
2004-Dec-04, 04:00 PM
I don&#39;t know if anything needs to be done. The membership will grow as word gets around. I know that I&#39;ll tell two friends who have a like interest, and they&#39;ll tell two friends and so on and so on...

StarLab
2004-Dec-05, 06:13 PM
Good plan BBD&#33; :P :lol: :D :rolleyes:

Betelgeuse
2004-Dec-06, 04:19 PM
I&#39;ll second that, starlab.

You tell your friends, Big Brother Dunk and tell them to tell theirs - it&#39;s surprising how fas word gets around&#33;

Ola D.
2004-Dec-11, 04:23 PM
You can send an email to two of your friemds , who are interested in space and astronomy, to invite him to the forum and he&#39;ll send the email to other two.. and voila&#33; You&#39;ll have a chain reaction&#33; Start it now, hopefully it&#39;ll work :)

McVador
2004-Dec-20, 09:39 PM
I&#39;m new and I&#39;m on this forum. B)
I dunno how active I&#39;ll be, but I do know that I&#39;ve been visiting The Universe Today pretty much every day since I found it a year ago. I probably will be forever and ever. In fact, my website has a space section (http://www.jeremyo.com/space) that includes news from this one (Fraser has been cool enough to do this automatically for &#33;&#33;free&#33;&#33; &#39;cause he&#39;s the man), but I actually come to this site when I read the news. Somehow it&#39;s better when you get it from the source.

EDIT: I just realized that I&#39;m a "dust speck", so perhapse I&#39;ll post more often. I don&#39;t want to be a dust speck. :blink:

bossman20081
2004-Dec-20, 09:44 PM
Welcome McVador&#33; You dont have to post a lot; it only matters whats in the post, but youll find that once you get use to it, youll post a lot more.

BTW We&#39;re all dust specks of the universe. ;)

rahuldandekar
2004-Dec-21, 10:29 AM
Maybe UT can have an invite form, like some other websites. That&#39;ll encourage some of us to invite our freinds, when, without encouragement, we won&#39;t.