PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: New Evidence of the Universe's ...

Fraser
2004-Sep-04, 04:31 PM
SUMMARY: A team of UK and Australian astronomers have come up with independent evidence that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. Three years ago astronomers stunned the scientific community when they announced their evidence of an accelerating universe (they calculated the velocity of supernovas in distant galaxies). This team came to the same conclusion after measuring the position of 250,000 galaxies and plotted their movement compared it to the structure of the early universe.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

StarLab
2004-Sep-05, 05:31 AM
What do I think of this story? Old hat. <_<

astromark
2004-Sep-05, 10:03 AM
:unsure: Does that mean that at some time in the distant future all of the matter in the universe will be so far apart that we will not see so many if any galaxies?
:huh: I have decided this theory, which has now been &#39;&#39;proven" is flawed and may well be complet rubish. According to me, The gravatational effect of all the material both visable and unseen. on each other and on and on.... precludes this as a viable possabilaty. Are the galaxies not sort of clumped into random groups of spiroling tumbling and more likely to be completly irregular and unpredictable. This sounds like the same sort of thinking that would have us belive that all of the matter in the universe started at a single point in time and space. Sounds like fundermentalist thinking to me.... :ph34r: Thinking infinaty might be bigger than some think. <_<

StarLab
2004-Sep-05, 07:50 PM
The universe may accelerate, but it will also recycle and never ever go to waste. Trust me. Even if the universe is proven to be accelerating, a Big Rip will never be a possibility; there is not chance or reason for any sort of a BR in the future.