PDA

View Full Version : Life out of our solar system

Callisto
2004-Sep-05, 01:30 PM
Out of all the new planets that were found far away, do you think that at least one of them holds life it doesn't have to be intelligent life just life? We're more focused on life inside our solar system like Europa, Mars, and Titan, but what about out of our solar system? Is there life? :huh:

bossman20081
2004-Sep-05, 04:05 PM
Out of the planets weve discovered, no. Theyre mostly gas giants too close to their star. Out of the planets we will discover, yes. But I dont believe theyll be that much more advanced than we are.

GOURDHEAD
2004-Sep-05, 07:23 PM
Out of the planets weve discovered, no. Theyre mostly gas giants too close to their star.

Here (http://www.obspm.fr/encycl/cat1.html) is a reference to a table of extrasolar planets ordered by distances from their parent star. Note that HD73526 and each of those at larger distances could very likely harbor moons capable of life such as we may find on the Gallilean planets of Jupiter. It is difficult to overestimate the blind, illogical skill of evolution at embedding life throughout the universe.

but what about out of our solar system? Is there life?

I vote for life in each of the systems cited above, some of which will be intelligent. There could be earth sized planets at locations suited for life in these systems as well as many of the others with more closely orbiting giants. But then I'm a hyper-optimist about the ubiquitousness of life with a not undernourished paranoia about the effects of our contacting it....but contact it we will, we must.

TuTone
2004-Sep-06, 05:09 PM
Yeah, there has to be life in other solar systems. There may not be other life forms in ours, but other Earth like planets in other systems, I think so. Just seems logical.

eyeinthesky77
2004-Sep-13, 01:30 PM
I defo think there is life elsewhere! Somewhere in a galaxy far far away.....
The crap thing is, by the time it makes contact, our generation will probably be long gone so we'll never know what happens!!!! Gutted! :angry:

lswinford
2004-Sep-15, 05:55 PM
I bet all the really intelligent life has already checked us out and, unimpressed, put us on ignore were we to try to contact them. :lol:

aries_4_5_48
2004-Sep-18, 06:25 AM
.....rational thought would undoubtedly deem your assumption correct. If the circumstances were reversed, what would be the point? Any gain would have to be weighed against the possibility of what type of violence or material gains the Earthlings might attempt........maybe 'down the road' if the nature of the 'beast' should change or be recognized for what it is and humanized. B)

"Evolutionary success and goodness are not the same thing...." S. Pinkerton :ph34r: