PDA

View Full Version : Do Aliens really exist?

twZ
2004-Sep-05, 10:34 PM
Well jus wanted to have any thought any 1 might have about aliens....R they real
do they Exist??? well i think if u know how big our solar system is......to our galaxy.......and how many suns r out there youll b pretty stupid to think there is no life out beyond our system..... dont u think ??u think jesus is a alien..??
god??? christianity is thousands of yrs old.....greeks and romans r older still....
indians r older then theirs....who is right......if our galaxy is round bout 12 billion yrs old who is right..???

Plat
2004-Sep-11, 01:32 AM
logically and mathematically, it is probable that they exist

Callisto
2004-Sep-11, 03:19 AM
I think that they exist because if they didn't universe would be a waste of space.

StarLab
2004-Sep-11, 03:20 AM
A Waste of Space...good way to put it, Callisto!

Tom2Mars
2004-Sep-11, 03:32 AM
A Waste of Space...good way to put it, Callisto!

Good way to put it, Carl Sagan(re-'Contact', book and film).

astromark
2004-Sep-11, 07:47 AM
:unsure: :blink: More questions than answers.. and thats the way it will always be. Step back from your question., and concider.
The size of the universe...
The very small amount of time we have been looking.
What are we looking for.
Would we reconise what we see.
The longer you ponder this line of thinking the more questions you will have.
My opinion only... is this, The universe is huge. The fact that life forms on planet earth have developed technology. Probebly means there is an abundance of it. The jury is still out on whether we have been visated in the past. The evadance is not set in concrete. As yet the proof is not forth comming. Is the development of technoligy the measure of inteligance or evan civilisation. No its not.
Most of our technolagy has only been brought about by our desire to destroy each other. IsÚnt that depresing. We should stop looking for fear they might find us a delightfull entertianment, or lunch.

rahuldandekar
2004-Sep-11, 10:24 AM
Right, Astromark. Our signals wouldn't have covered even 100 light years until now. We would have to wait for 500 more years to get a response. However, our best bet of finding aliens is looking for their signals, presuming that they have invented technology just like us, and have good light from their star on their planet ( the sky is not cloudy), and that they are interested in finding others like them. Little chance that we will contact them.

However, you can be sure other conscious intelligent beings exist. We may not contact them, but they do exist.

GOURDHEAD
2004-Sep-12, 11:55 AM
Is the development of technoligy the measure of intelligence or even civilisation. No its not.

It may not be the measure of intelligence, but it is an important one. The Aztecs, Incas, and other American aboriginals learned the hard way that dealing with critters with advanced technology can be hazardous to your health. I hope we will practice a more compassionate conservatism with those we meet as we explore the universe....and they with us.

GOURDHEAD
2004-Sep-12, 12:30 PM
Most of our technology has only been brought about by our desire to destroy each other.

What motivates such assessment? The silicon technology (stone tools and weapons) developed by our ancestors a few million years ago was essential to their survival and our current existence. As their awareness of more and more of the universe, and of how living organisms function, expanded, they invented farming which inspired more complex technology development both for production as well as storage and protection of stores. This lead to the requirement to codify rules for fair exchange and the definition of truth, justice, freedom, the boundaries of freedom with respect to avoiding chaos, and compassion with religion as a collateral benefit (at times in the minds and hands of a few, a curse). Technology development is both fundamental to and dependent upon whatever blessings accrue from civilization and has fostered its most endearing and enduring virtues.

Have we stumbled along the way? Yes!! And we will stumble yet again many times. The secular manifestation of whatever passes for repentance and redemption will become whatever passes for the secular version of the Balm of Gilead.

Wouter
2004-Sep-12, 08:12 PM
Do they exist. Well, that question has been asked many times and I now have a good answer, I think. When I say "life" i mean "intelligent life". We all know microbes also crawl in space.

We live in a very small part of the universe. It is very likely that there is other life somewhere else, because it is just so big. But consider this: Only one out of billions of species that have lived on this earth has become really intelligent. We have very big brains and therefore a very big head, and it is hard for us to give birth, its a very painful process. We have defied the laws of evolution: We are almost blind, we cannot hear well and we our sense of smell is nothing. Nor do we have big claws or razor sharp teeth to defend ourselves against other more dangerous animals. It is a miracle we could sustain ourselves. Then we have tried to kill our brothers and sisters, because we being intelligent just can't stand it if someone else has another opinion. We almost destroyed the whole damn planet in the Cold War, not to mention that we haven't been hit by an asteroid or something. We are some lucky *******s.

So, yes it is possible that there is other intelligent life out there. But, is it now? Humans have been intelligently around for say 20000 years. That's 20000 years out of 13700000000. Who says the other intelligent life is also in this time period?

So there is a whole lot of space and time other intelligent could be in, so I do not believe we are being visited by extra-terrestrials as we speak. Amen :)

StarLab
2004-Sep-13, 03:18 AM
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you there, Wouty. You're insight provided something none of the rest of us thought of: that out brief spell as "intelligent" was so brief, that if intelligent life existed elsewhere, good chances are that it became conscious of itself waaaay long ago, or will not for a very long time. Now, at this point in spacetime, it's our turn, and soon, it'll be someone else's.

Richard0802
2004-Sep-14, 11:16 PM
Do Aliens Exist?

I remember once reading this in a newspaper:

"Little green men seen leaving flying saucer .... Martians airsick after bumpy journey"

Richard.P.

Tom2Mars
2004-Sep-15, 05:09 AM
Hey Richard! Welcome to the Forum.

And Gourdhead, Re-
The silicon technology (stone tools and weapons) developed by our ancestors a few million years ago was essential to their survival and our current existence.
and, the whole rest of your post...Absolutely fabulous and gifted, as usual!

It made me realize that we are still using silicon technology here in the Forum, hopefully for good. Although some of us do occasionally try to destroy each other with it. I'm no exception, sorry to say. :(

dannyboy
2004-Sep-25, 07:42 PM
Do aliens really exists? I believe they do!

They co-exists with us here on earth and they exists in there own time continueum.

ulgah
2004-Sep-26, 12:41 AM
Not only do aliens exist, they are everywhere!! We are not talking about insignificant microbes(that have not yet, been discovered outside Earth.) I am more optimistic than Gourdhead. I believe as many of you do that, intelligent life appears everywhere, (we don't want to waste space.) The gas planets are full of intelligence. They don't need solid ground, they even live in the sun, and let's take it one step farther, they also live in space. Don't need solid ground, they just evolved without it, and they are most likely mode of silicon, rather that carbon. Carbon is too boring, anyhow. I think they even live in our faces, (keeps us from seeing clearly.) Hasn't that happened to you?? We are stupid, while they are smart!! Wow, that should cover it, what else can I say!! ;)

bunny
2004-Oct-01, 02:28 PM
Life does exist..but in a Galaxy far far away.....!

I saw it on a documentary some time ago. They are much like us and they fight a lot and they have more advanced technology.

suntrack2
2004-Oct-06, 09:35 AM
hmmmmmm, we are sort of aliens for the outer world, if there is anyone. we are knocking their doors but yet we are in waiting to see them.

sunil

astromark
2004-Oct-09, 08:56 AM
:unsure: The fact is we do not have any information to suport this theory as yet.
WE DON'T KNOW.

And all we can do is wait, wotch, and listen...
for what,? I don't know.
We dont know much do we...

suntrack2
2004-Oct-09, 10:50 AM
in this giant universe we are not alone, in other word, in a small oxygen and carbondioxide some very micro life can be live on other stars where such composition is available, it mostly observed that the star's atmosphere is mainly consist of hydrogen,mithane,carbon, and some other, now we have to test the ice where it is there in the universe except earth, below the level of ice there is a possibility of life there on different stars, such as micro organisms,and some very small bacterias in inner portion of that ice. when we say that in the inner layors of the earth some life also we found there in the core of the layors, but not in very deep, as we have seen on antarctica the life found in the deep ice in the inner portion of that ice. this is important to study the ice-ful stars and that may be on the farthest distance from sun and there is possibility of having some sort of life, the concept of the aliens are being designed by us in our own fashion, the concept may be exactly differ on other stars, but after hundreds of years the answer we will receive that whether there is any life on other stars availabe or in exist, because our technology to reach them will be obviously advance than today's, our efforts will be 100 times more in coming years and in this efforts we can find the answer of the above question that "do aliens really exists"

sunil

Betelgeuse
2004-Oct-09, 11:04 AM
Astromark -
I couldn't agree more with you. We don't know, and even if there is, the chances are we will never meet them - our closeest star (apart from the sun) Proxima Centauri is somewhat 3.6 light years away - if there were planets orbiting this double star, think of the time it would take for any life form from this planet to travel to earth - if their bodies etc would be like ours, then they wouldn't be able to survive.

Can anyone see the point I'm trying to make?

astromark
2004-Oct-09, 11:34 AM
:P Yes Rigel, and thankyou. Unfortunatly we don't as yet know of any extra solar planet in the near to us group of stars. Within twelve light years. There may be inner planets like earth, venus and mars but we as yet have not detected them. Our telescopes can see the gas giants, but we don't expect to see life on them. So lets just zoom of and look anyway... The nearest, Alpha centari lies about three and a quarter years away. Lets pretend we could exelerate at about two g's untill we reached Proxima, thats still going to take more than fifteen years. Any message they sent back would only take three and a half years to reach us... lets not bother a. We should exept that inter stelare space travel is just a fiction for a while yet... Lets just improve this place, and look after it a little better. This is our space ship.

Betelgeuse
2004-Oct-09, 01:07 PM
Yeah, once again I agree with you, astromark.
There are more important things to improove on than trying to discover life elswhere.

Betelgeuse
2004-Oct-09, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bunny@Oct 1 2004, 02:28 PM
Life does exist..but in a Galaxy far far away.....!

I saw it on a documentary some time ago. They are much like us and they fight a lot and they have more advanced technology.
I don't mean to be rude, but how do these documentary people know what lies in a galaxy far far away?

suntrack2
2004-Oct-10, 12:01 PM
rigel" you are correct, proxima centauri and alfa centauri too.

Betelgeuse
2004-Oct-10, 01:28 PM
Thanks for you agreement, suntrack2.