PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Wallpaper: Cat's Eye Nebula

VanderL
2004-Sep-09, 03:58 PM
Don't know about you people, but I think this is the most extraordinaryly beautiful Hubble image anywhere, http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=14988.

Look at the fine filamentary structure, makes the mind go numb to think how this structure can be stable.

I'm sure Fraser will post this image too, only he mostly chooses the higher quality image, I'll see if that one is a nice "wallpaper".

Cheers.

Fraser
2004-Sep-09, 04:02 PM
SUMMARY: Here's a 1024x768 desktop wallpaper of the Cat's Eye Nebula (aka NGC 6543), taken by the Hubble Space Telescope. It's classified as a planetary nebula, which means that it was once a Sun-like star that ejected its outer layers into space. Astronomers think that it ejected its mass in 1,500-year pulses, creating a series of dust shells that are layered around the star like an onion. The situation changed about 1,000 years ago, when the nebula we see started forming inside the dusty shells - Hubble has watched it grow during 10 years of observations.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Sep-09, 04:42 PM
The Cat's Eye is a beauty! Looking at it, it must be that star must have been changing its axis of rotation over a fairly large range while it was sending out the cloud.