PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: NASA's Satellite Photo of ...

Fraser
2004-Sep-12, 05:52 AM
SUMMARY: NASA's Terra satellite took this photograph of Hurricane Ivan as it roared past the island of Jamaica on Saturday. The US space agency is gearing itself up for another potential encounter with a hurricane; just a week after Hurricane Frances damaged the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral. Forecasters are expecting that KSC will receive winds of 75 kph (45 mph) and more rain on Tuesday. 1,500 employees have been working to get the space centre back online, and managers are still planning to reopen to its full 14,000 employees on Monday.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

damienpaul
2004-Sep-12, 06:11 AM
Florida is not having much luck lately isn't it?

antoniseb
2004-Sep-14, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by damienpaul@Sep 12 2004, 06:11 AM
Florida is not having much luck lately isn't it?
I think it's the bad end of the law of averages. Florida got off light for the last twenty years or so. This year it gets three big ones. I expect number four will not be a big deal.

DippyHippy
2004-Sep-14, 02:59 PM
My (then) fiancee and I got lucky... we set our wedding date for August 28th because it was a full moon and we wanted to get married at sunset / moonrise overlooking the Biscayne Bay, Miami.

We were lucky because first Bonnie hit and then Charley hit Florida the weekend before we arrived in Florida. We got into Orlando (where her sister lives) on the 20th and there was still quite a bit of damage to be seen. We saw one hotel with the roof entirely blown off and there were downed trees and road signs everywhere. My sister-in-law didn't have any water or power for a whole week.

We drove down to Miami on Tue 24th and that's when we first heard about Frances. We got married on the 28th as planned and then went back up to Orlando for a few days. We started driving back to Oklahoma on Tue 31st and they were already talking about Ivan even then. In the meantime, Frances hit that weekend.

The thought has crossed our minds that if we had decided to move the wedding date by a weekend or two either way, our wedding night could have been a whole lot different!!