PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Stream of Particles from Io

Fraser
2004-Sep-15, 05:05 PM
SUMMARY: Jupiter's moon Io is peppered with volcanoes spewing gas and dust up to 400 km (284 miles) high. You'd think that this material would all settle down again onto the moon, but something very unusual is happening: it's being accelerated to a velocity second only to the Sun's solar wind. This new space hazard came as a complete surprise when it was first discovered pelting the NASA/ESA Ulysses spacecraft. The dust came in a tight stream, moving at 300 km per second (200 mps), and it was detected again when Galileo visited the Jovian system. It turns out that Jupiter's powerful magnetic field picks up the material from Io and accelerates it.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

lswinford
2004-Sep-15, 07:50 PM
Sounds like there is a fairly distinct ceiling to Io's 'atmosphere'. When volcanic plumes rise above that gravity containment zone then Jupiter's magnetic field snatches at least the particulate matter.

But with all the press that article gave to Io dust in regard to earth, something obvious was missing. While Jupiter snatches matter and spins it around in its magnetic field won't that then pour back into Io upon orbit completion? How Io contributes to the matter in Jupiter's ring may also be balanced by Io recapturing some of that, therefore keeping that ring light and diffuse, suppose?

That business about changed directions is interesting too. What would a magnetic pole flip on Jupiter look like? Or possibly counter-spinning zones or shells (which would be a fun trick) that wax and wane in altitude?

VanderL
2004-Sep-15, 08:21 PM
Ok, I just have to respond to this artcle, it's just an knee-jerk reflex. :)

This new space hazard came as a complete surprise when it was first discovered pelting the NASA/ESA Ulysses spacecraft.

Not to the proponents of the EU model http://www.holoscience.com/news/galileo.htm here is the first article (1999) that stresses the danger of putting spacecraft close to the volcanoes on Io.
There is more followup on that website to the real reason why these "volcanoes" are different from the Earth-based ones. It is interesting that in this new article there is plenty of evidence of electrical/magnetic acceleration of particles, just as is supposed by the EU model.

Cheers.

lswinford
2004-Sep-20, 04:51 PM
So its more like a solar flare than a volcanic eruption? Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks.

VanderL
2004-Sep-20, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure "solar flare" is the right description, more like an arc-like discharge just like arc-welding, only of enormous proportions. Here is another part of this story http://www.holoscience.com/news/inferno.htm

Cheers.

Duane
2004-Sep-21, 01:29 AM
VanderL, that story is misleading and utterly subjective. Once again, the author uses no science to support his view, he simply says "it looks like this".

I wish to make this very clear here. This is a fabrication, not science. The volcanic activity, the plumes, the acceleration of the particles, the debris and fallback patterns are all well understood and do not require some fantastic, otherworldly, "electric" or any other theory to account for any of them.

No Iswinford, they are nothing like a solar flare. They are strickly a well understood eruption of molten material rising from the interior of one of the most tortured, tidally stretched bodies in the solar system. Cliffs on Io can rise 300 feet over the period of an orbit. The heat generated by this flexing is enough to completely melt the interior of that moon. There is no mystery in that.

VanderL, you have a thread within which you can argue your pet theory to your heart's content. Accept this as a reminder of rule 6 of this forum.

zephyr46
2004-Sep-21, 03:38 AM
I thought the volcanoes were mainly sufurous? So any sort of acceleration of an Ionic erruption would be due to juipiters gravity? Wouldn't it?

Shame :( I had challenged a mate of mine to a game of Golf on Io, my interest was purely in getting there. But I remember reading a recent story about Io being the Hotest place in the solar system? I thought Venus took that title?

Reminds me of that statement, with the Pioneer/Voyager missions, "the further they go the more we discover how little we knew".

lswinford
2004-Sep-21, 08:41 PM
I remember that Venus was supposed to be something like 600-800F and a grand example of greenhouse with its high pressure atmosphere of CO2 and sulpheric acid that kept wrecking landing probes within minutes of arrival. Still, I think Mercury would not be a good place to be even if I could stay in its twilight zone or dark side. The only Io I enjoy is Michael Jackson's character in the 3D Disney flick. B)

Duane
2004-Sep-21, 08:53 PM
I thought the volcanoes were mainly sufurous? So any sort of acceleration of an Ionic erruption would be due to juipiters gravity? Wouldn't it?

Yes, mainly sulferous as in much higher concentrations of sulfer than you see in the basaltic rocks coming from Earth. Having said that, the heat arising in the volcanoes is extraordinarily hot (some 300K hotter that Earth's) and so must also contain a high concentration of basalt.

Acceleration of the sulfer particles which escape Io's gravity seems to result from interaction with Jupiter's magnetic field. It seems that the gaseous sulfer is caught up in the magnetic field and accelerated to nearly the speed of the solar wind.

It appears that Jupiter's gravity plays a much lesser role, if any.

VanderL
2004-Sep-22, 07:13 PM
Hi Duane,

I'm trying to post stuff related to the topic, I think it belongs in this topic and if you check the EU thread you'll see that I did the same there. I'm not out to break rules, but I think the rules are not forbidding me to state my views, even if you don't agree with that view.

VanderL, that story is misleading and utterly subjective. Once again, the author uses no science to support his view, he simply says "it looks like this".

I wish to make this very clear here. This is a fabrication, not science. The volcanic activity, the plumes, the acceleration of the particles, the debris and fallback patterns are all well understood and do not require some fantastic, otherworldly, "electric" or any other theory to account for any of them.

Maybe they don't require otherworldly "electric" in your view, but there are definitely otherworldly mechanisms going on on Io (it is another world for starters), maybe what is presented by the EU is speculative, but the volcanoes are nothing like the one's on Earth. So don't tell me that everything is well understood, we don't have enough precise data to say that, mainstream science also does the same: starting with "it looks like' and then going on from there.
Time will tell, but I think there is every reason to keep our eyes and minds open.

Cheers.