PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Glaciers Speed Up When Ice Breaks ...

Fraser
2004-Sep-22, 04:33 PM
SUMMARY: When the Larsen B ice shelf broke away from the coast of Antarctica two years ago, nearby glaciers surged, flowing eight times faster. This is according to a new study by NASA-funded researchers who used several Earth observing satellites to track the movements of Antarctic glaciers. It appears that the ice shelves hold glaciers back, like a dam. Once the shelf breaks up, the glacier is free to flow quickly. These glaciers aren't that large, but this research gives scientists an understanding of what will happen as rising temperatures continue breaking up Antarctica's ice shelves.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

StarLab
2004-Sep-22, 05:57 PM
:unsure: I don't like the smell of this... :ph34r:

Higher Dimensions
2004-Sep-23, 09:18 AM
This biggest Antarctic ice shelf has existed for at least 300 years, and probably since the last ice age. Similarly, the biggest Arctic ice shelf broke up about a year ago. Global warming is real, the U.S. should have signed the Kyoto protocols, and the world is angry about it. These big events seem unimportant only because they are located where people don't see them.

JESMKS
2004-Sep-23, 04:03 PM
I think the Earth is still recovering from the Ice Age. It will eventually return to it's pre Ice Age condition, having a warmer climate and a higher sea level. As the world's ice mass decreases in size, there is an acceleration in the rate of melting. Just my opinion.
Jack