PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Your Book Suggestions

Fraser
2004-Sep-23, 07:17 PM
SUMMARY: Wow, thanks to everyone who sent in your lists of favorite books - many, many great suggestions. I'll keep this at my side as I put together an essential list of space and astronomy books, but I thought you'd all find the suggestions helpful as well. So, here's a reprint of just a few of the emails I received (I edited them down for length). If I've read the book, or have something to say, my comments are in red and bold. I've linked the books to Amazon.com so you can peruse further.

Thanks again, keep 'em coming!

Fraser Cain
Publisher
Universe Today

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

jsc248
2004-Sep-24, 10:21 AM
I must admit my two favourite books are both practical and informative and written by my friend Sir Patrick Moore, these are The Atlas Of The Solar System and The Atlas Of The Universe. Both are crammed with information for the beginner and more advanced astronomer.
jsc248.

VanderL
2004-Sep-24, 03:59 PM
Hi Fraser,

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Halton C. Arp's "Seeing Red" and Eric Lerner's "The Big Bang Never Happened". Both books are not the most eloquently written astronomical works, but they are essential in giving voice to an alternative to Big Bang cosmology.

Cheers.

lswinford
2004-Sep-24, 07:57 PM
Speaking of the Big Bang, and forgive me if I missed it, but here is one that might be worth looking at that supposedly is coming out soon: Big Bang by Simon Singh which England's Telegraph is publishing (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2004/09/22/ecnsing22.xml&sSheet=/connected/2004/09/22/ixconnrite.html).

The story centers on the forgotten father of the Big Bang, Ralph Alpher. Singh mentions how Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian priest, gave the original idea. However, it was Alpher's paper that really got the ball rolling. Alpher was promptly forgotten and so when Bell Labs researchers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson made their radio discovery and earned the 1978 Nobel prizes for Physics, Penzias helped set the record straight. Singh's book may be an important, perhaps instructive, one to follow as we follow the development of an idea.

I say this not to take away from VanderL's suggestions, but that Singh's book tells more than just the "first five minutes of the universe." It tells of how scientists deal with scientists.