PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Richard Branson Plans Space ...

Fraser
2004-Sep-27, 04:37 PM
SUMMARY: Entrepreneur Richard Branson announced today that his company, Virgin Galactic, will be taking Scaled Composite's SpaceShipOne to the next logical step, and offer flights to the public. Virgin Galactic has ordered a larger version of the X-Prize contender suborbital spacecraft which will carry five passengers - the deal is reportedly worth $25 million over the next 14 years depending on how many ships are built. Tickets are expected to cost just over $200,000, and will include three-days of training, but industry experts expect the prices will come down with increased flight frequency.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

StarLab
2004-Sep-27, 04:38 PM
I just can't wait for that decade when tickets like these will cost no more than five hundred bucks per adult in a first-class seat (the most expensive it'd get)

Spacemad
2004-Sep-27, 10:14 PM
:) It's a great day for everyone interested in getting into space! Virgin Galactic will soon become a household name for suborbital flights. Richard Broston is a man of great vision, as he has shown many times. Good luck to his new company & to Bert Rutlanīs!

:) Long Live Space Flight!!! :)

Guest_AtomicPenguin
2004-Sep-28, 01:39 AM
Sweeeeeet!

Algenon the mouse
2004-Sep-28, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by StarLab@Sep 27 2004, 04:38 PM
I just can't wait for that decade when tickets like these will cost no more than five hundred bucks per adult in a first-class seat (the most expensive it'd get)
Or maybe $200,000 will be worth about $500 by then. (should buy a tank of gas for my car....)

Tom2Mars
2004-Sep-28, 04:45 AM
Sounds like it's time to talk to Sir Richard about my Mars Transfer Vehi...Ahem...I mean, my Space Hotel design. :D

zephyr46
2004-Sep-28, 05:59 AM
Yeah, You, Hilton, Holiday Inn and any other space hotel consortium ready to take it to the next level.

But it is definately one of those moments for history.

On another issue, the next time you book a flight or buy music, you know that Virgin is the company that represents the interests of the space community.

Richard is a pretty cool dude anyway, but this is really putting money where angels fear to tread!

So yeah, anyone want to buy a liver? Kidney? Anyone ? :)

mark mclellan
2004-Sep-28, 10:13 AM
This is a great day to be British again. But, i crave for more space exploration and understanding as a planet of people! Not raining on Sir Bransons parade because his money into the whole space venture is great. We do however need more investment by governments to develope the future of space travel beyond this world. Come on world leaders.......do your bit :ph34r:

rynolds
2004-Sep-28, 12:20 PM
this is one trully for the history books, the day it was announced the the orindary person (well almost!) could venture above our tiny planets atmosphere and finally live the dream.
god bless that heroic god, Sir Richard Branson. if anyone was gonna do such a noble thing it had to be this guy.

God speed rich and rutlan to make this dream a reality