PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Here Come The Thirty Meter ...

Fraser
2004-Sep-27, 06:18 PM
SUMMARY: When it comes to astronomy, size is everything. The biggest telescope on the planet is the 11-metre Hobby-Eberly on Mount Fowlkes in Texas. And the twin 10-metre Keck telescopes perched atop Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii can work in tandem to act as an even larger telescope. But there are new observatories in the works, with telescopes that will be 30-metres across and larger. Once these turn their gaze into the heavens, astronomers will have some amazingly powerful tools at their disposal.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Algenon the mouse
2004-Sep-28, 01:45 AM
Any idea where they plan to build them. (hopefully near Seattle...)

Higher Dimensions
2004-Sep-28, 07:13 AM
"Written by John A. Cross"

Was this article written for Universe Today? If so, it deserves a lot of praise. If not, where is the news service attribution?

Ground observatories sure are cheaper than Hubble. I hope they build OWL sooner rather than later.

Someday, humans will watch movements of creatures of another civilization, through a telescope with spy satellite-like detail. Why worry about whether we can ever actually go there, if we can watch their individuals from here? Much cheaper.

antoniseb
2004-Sep-28, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Higher Dimensions@Sep 28 2004, 07:13 AM
"Written by John A. Cross"

Was this article written for Universe Today? If so, it deserves a lot of praise. If not, where is the news service attribution?

Ground observatories sure are cheaper than Hubble. I hope they build OWL sooner rather than later.

Someday, humans will watch movements of creatures of another civilization, through a telescope with spy satellite-like detail. Why worry about whether we can ever actually go there, if we can watch their individuals from here? Much cheaper.
I wrote it for Universe Today. Fraser did some editing. "John A. Cross" is one of my pen-names. This is my second article for UT. Thanks for the praise!

antoniseb
2004-Sep-29, 08:54 PM
Here's a pointer to a story about a proposed novel sixteen meter telescope to potentially be built 'cheaply' on Dome C in antarctica.
Sixteen Meter Novel Telescope (http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0409/17outdohubble/)