PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Halfway There: SpaceShipOne Hits ...

Fraser
2004-Sep-29, 04:29 PM
SUMMARY: It was a nailbiter this morning at the Mojave spaceport in California when SpaceShipOne successfully returned to space; half way to winning the $10 million X-Prize.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

John L
2004-Sep-29, 06:35 PM
Now all I need to do is hit the lottery and I can afford a Virgin Galactic ticket on one of their five Spaceship1's!

Spacemad
2004-Sep-29, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by John L@Sep 29 2004, 06:35 PM
Now all I need to do is hit the lottery and I can afford a Virgin Galactic ticket on one of their five Spaceship1's!
:) Congratulations to the team of SpaceShipOne for getting their ship back into space for the 2nd time! :( Shame it didn't go as smoothly as hoped but I'm sure they will correct the problems in time for the next attempt.

I shall have to start buying Lottery tickets as well if I want to get a seat on one of Virgen's flights in a few years time! :P

chimknee
2004-Oct-05, 05:22 PM
I've been watching the flights of SS1 with great interest. However I have a couple of questions. The images on tv from inside SS1 with Mike Melville at the cntrols, don't appear to show him in any type of pressure suit. I think even the pilots who flew the SR-71 wore some sort of pressure suit. What would happen if the ship were de-pressurized? Also the scene where he threw the m&m's around the cokpit threw me. Having been around the LM project, many years ago, everything was CLEAN ROOM so as not get any extranious particle that could float around in space and cause problems. Also Rutan sort of jokeingly said the ship was just some fabric with dope painted on. Obviously its some sort of composite structure. But when I saw the ship doing barrel rolls(unintentional?), I wondered what gee's (Nz) the craft was designed to. You can tell that this project was not subject to government reg's. TIA

Duane
2004-Oct-05, 06:52 PM
The images on tv from inside SS1 with Mike Melville at the cntrols, don't appear to show him in any type of pressure suit. I think even the pilots who flew the SR-71 wore some sort of pressure suit. What would happen if the ship were de-pressurized?

No pressure suit, the cockpit is pressurized. The idea was to save weight. If the cockpit depressurized, the pilot (and anyone else inside it at the time) would die.

everything was CLEAN ROOM so as not get any extranious particle that could float around in space and cause problems.

True, but this was a stunt to show he was weightless. Not really an issue with this small craft.

But when I saw the ship doing barrel rolls(unintentional?), I wondered what gee's (Nz) the craft was designed to

The barrel roles were not intentional per se, however Melville told reporters later that the rolls weren't bothering him nor interfering with flight controls, so he just didn;t bother to stop them. Apprently they looked alot worse than they actually were.

The craft was designed to handle up to 10g's, although it was never expected to exceed the 5 or so g's experienced in the first few moments of reentry.

Spacemad
2004-Oct-06, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Spacemad+Sep 29 2004, 07:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spacemad &#064; Sep 29 2004, 07:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-John L@Sep 29 2004, 06:35 PM
Now all I need to do is hit the lottery and I can afford a Virgin Galactic ticket on one of their five Spaceship1&#39;s&#33;
:) Congratulations to the team of SpaceShipOne for getting their ship back into space for the 2nd time&#33; :( Shame it didn&#39;t go as smoothly as hoped but I&#39;m sure they will correct the problems in time for the next attempt.

I shall have to start buying Lottery tickets as well if I want to get a seat on one of Virgen&#39;s flights in a few years time&#33; :P[/b][/quote]
I quote myself so as to show the confidence I felt in SpaceShipOne&#39;s team that they would iron out the problems experienced during the second flight 5 or 6 days ago.

I now have to congratulate them for the successful accomplishment of the flight into space & their conquest of the Ansari X-Prize. Well done to the SpaceShipOne&#39;s team&#33; Congratulations&#33; Now you have demonstrated that private initiative is capable of getting Man into space&#33; :)