PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Venus Express is Assembled

Fraser
2004-Sep-30, 05:17 PM
SUMMARY: Engineers at the European Space Agency have completed the assembly of Venus Express; the agency's first mission to the cloud enshrouded planet. If everything goes well, Venus Express will lift off on board a Soyuz-Fregat rocket on October 25, 2005 and then travel through space for 153 days before arriving at Venus. Venus Express will make a thorough analysis of Venus' atmosphere using a suite of instruments.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

StarLab
2004-Sep-30, 06:25 PM
This mission should yield important results about Venus; I have good faith and hope in this mission.

John L
2004-Sep-30, 06:37 PM
Mars Express had some glitches like the boom for the sub-surface radar, and this is basically the same probe. Does VE have that instrument, and did they work out all of the ME glitches?

2004-Oct-01, 03:13 AM
Lookin' at it in the past , Venus in some ways it seemed like Earth but was also so different such a hellish planet. Some say during the early life of our solar system it might have looked a lot more like home , it would be nice to get some more pics of the maxwell mountains

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Oct-01, 01:10 PM
:unsure: This is unlikely to yield a habitable programme I assume? But as a mineral source, mined by robots ... ...?

lswinford
2004-Oct-01, 08:15 PM
There was talk of terraforming Venus about twenty-ish years ago. Someone said that we might skim a good sized sample of some cousins of blue-green algae from a Yellowstone Park hot water hole and drop them into Venus' atmosphere. There supposedly is a zone in the atmosphere that has both similar temperatures and pressures as on earth, so by inserting some blimp-like structures into that atmospheric zone that are thoroughly inoculated with that algae and related micro-organisms that are already attuned to hot environments with lots of sulfur, they might make positive changes over time. One writer speculated that it might culminate in a massive Noah-style flushing rain that changes the dynamics of Venus' air. A lot of ifs though, starting with if the windspeeds at that supposed temperate zone will permit their little blimps and going through if those water-based bacteria will have enough water in the venusian air to flourish, etc.

I think there is another major problem however, and that without better rotation rates to do the centrifugal forces that great atmospheric pressure will make planting colonies at the bottom of the Mariana Trench in our own Pacific ocean an easier project. :D