PDA

View Full Version : Russian Experts See Life on Jupiter Moon

Shaltai
2004-Oct-05, 11:41 AM
Russiam Experts See Life on Jupiter Moon (http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/10/04/jupiter.shtml)

wstevenbrown
2004-Oct-13, 07:29 PM
Typical.

suntrack2
2004-Nov-06, 04:09 PM
check the signals !!

damienpaul
2004-Nov-06, 04:40 PM
its probably from a karaoke bar in Siberia......or then again..... :ph34r:

bossman20081
2004-Nov-06, 06:58 PM
They just said it was a possibility- theres no conclusive evidence of life that we know of. We dont even know if there is an ocean there; we highly suspect it though. The author wrote a misleading title.

Matthew
2004-Nov-07, 01:26 AM
Those theories have been floating around for a while. But if they go to Europa, they better not contaminate the ocean under the ice..

damienpaul
2004-Nov-07, 02:16 AM
I agree matthew, that must be kept as pristine as it is now.

Matthew
2004-Nov-07, 02:57 AM
There is work being done to test ways to get to an an underground body of water through ice and keep everything pristine at Lake Vostok. I think there are NASA scientists working there and testing methods of getting a driller to drill through most of the ice, then a couple of hundred metres away from water, stop drilling and then melt the ice, which would refreeze behind it, creating a seal.

I watched a documentary on this, but I don't know what it was. Sorry.

astromark
2004-Nov-07, 05:14 AM
:blink: No they havent... :o What they have seen is a place that "might have an enviroment that could have a liquid ocean benieth a covering of frozen whatever..". When you have little or no money its a way of gaining funding. I would not wast my energy on this sort of speculation. lets wait for the results of a prob or two. Another point here. Some of you (no thats not fare)Some of the scientific comunity are becomming obsest with the notion that we might polut these off worlds... well, yes we might.,but so do meteor impacts. and I'm thinking that we are aware of the risks. and should still look at all these places. coment?

bossman20081
2004-Nov-08, 12:38 AM
Astromark-
If they contaminate the ocean, than we wont be able to tell if theres indigenous life there or if its from a probe. So it makes any future probe that looks for life useless, not to mention if we find life on other planets it would be one of the biggest scientific discoverys ever.

KeiZka
2004-Nov-09, 07:35 PM
Why am I a bit skeptical on that piece of "news"? We know that russians aren't that trustworthy...

You never know what there is. Imagine that there was ancient civilization, which would get more than little angry because of human newcomers? (ok, lousy joke)

kenyan
2004-Nov-18, 10:56 AM
:D With the known microbes capabilities to live in extreme itions I've never ruled out life in areas not far from Blue Planet (Earth), my main interest is to know if there is any sort of civilization out there?! I do belive there should be, If you one think not then let me know what makes as important in the universe that another planet somewhere will not have strategic position next to its parent star in the universe! :ph34r: