PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Field of Fault Lines on Mars

Fraser
2004-Oct-05, 04:27 PM
SUMMARY: This image was taken by the European Space Agency's Mars Express spacecraft on June 4, and it shows a series of parallel fault lines in the western part of Solis Planum. These fault lines can be traced for several hundred kilometres to the northern Tharsis shield volcanoes.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

lswinford
2004-Oct-05, 06:42 PM
I've seen lines like this from the long-term erosion of an incline. Sorry, I don't really see it. I suspect if you dried off Kansas, as flat as it is, and let the winds blow the topsoil away we would see similar lines from the exposure of the natural gradient. We need a few more measures and a bit more understanding of the layering to say something definitive, I think. For what its worth.

Duane
2004-Oct-05, 06:44 PM
The fault lines seem to confirm a couple of theories regarding the formation of the Tharsis region. The build-up on this giant region, including volcanoes, seems to have stressed the lithosphere of Mars to such an extent that areas of it cracked.

The cracks may also give an indication that the lithosphere experienced shinkage as the core of Mars cooled to the point that active volcanism stopped.

Nice photos!

lswinford
2004-Oct-11, 09:00 PM
Now that sounds reasonable to my petty brain. Thanks.