PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: The Great Observatories Examine ...

Fraser
2004-Oct-06, 04:51 PM
SUMMARY: On October 9, 1604, a new star appeared in the sky as bright as any of the planets. Johannes Kepler, who discovered the laws of planetary motion, was one of the astronomers at the time who tried to study this supernova, before telescopes were even invented. Now NASA has turned its Great Observatories (Hubble, Chandra, and Spitzer) on the supernova remnant, and produced an image that shows it in many different wavelengths of light. The combined image shows a bubble-shaped shroud of gas and dust 14 light-years wide expanding at 6 million kph (4 million mph).

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Oct-06, 11:06 PM
Kepler's Star is in Ophiuchus, down near his leg, close to the milky way near Scorpio.
Here's a picture of a star char drawn to show me as Ophiuchus wrestling with the giant snake [Serpens].

One megabyte image of old-fashioned star chart (http://www.crowcastle.net/cat/RLS/12Apr2003-scroll.jpg)

I think it's pretty cool to see the combined output of the great observatories on this one object. It will be interesting to study the motions and composition of the object to try and back-track see how the star exploded, and how that matches theory.

2004-Oct-07, 12:33 AM
Am I mistaken? 4 million mph for 400 years comes to 1.4 x 10*13 miles. A light year is about 5.88 x 10*12 miles. This comes to 2.39 light years it should have expanded to in 400 years. How come it's 14 across?

antoniseb
2004-Oct-07, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Oct 7 2004, 12:33 AM
How come it's 14 across?
It must be that the forward most part of the cloud has been slowed down by the materials that were ejected by the pre-supernova star, and the ISM.