PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Radio Telescopes Around the World ...

Fraser
2004-Oct-08, 04:41 PM
SUMMARY: European and US astronomers have linked up their radio telescopes for the first time in real-time, through the Internet. The researchers have created the world's biggest virtual radio telescope by merging observations from instruments in the UK, Sweden, the Netherlands, Poland, and Puerto Rico. The virtual instrument has a resolution which is 5 times better than the Hubble Space Telescope. The team imaged an object called IRC+10420, a star nearing the end of its life; at some point in the near future it'll explode as a supernova.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2004-Oct-09, 07:03 AM
very good :D

dave_f
2004-Oct-10, 07:04 PM
I remember watching an old episode of NOVA about the VLA (Very Large Array). In that episode I distinctly remember them talking about how when it came to radio images, the bigger the telescope, the better the resolution of the pictures they took. There were multiple radio telescope arrays even at that time, and they were talking about building them bigger and with more of those giant satellite dishes. My first thought at the time was "Why don't a bunch of those groups get together and take pictures of the same place in space, thus turning every radio telescope into one giant one?"

Now I know the answer. :)