PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Total Lunar Eclipse: October 27/28

Fraser
2004-Oct-13, 06:43 PM
SUMMARY: Septemberís full moon, better known as the Harvest Moon was everything we've come to expect in the fall; a large, warmly glowing golden ball peeking above the trees just after sunset. But the splendors of several consecutive nights of beautiful moonlight canít compare to the show the moon will put on in late October. October offers us a chance to see a truly amazing spectacle, a total lunar eclipse on October 27/28th.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

rolandlinda3
2004-Oct-14, 02:39 AM
My wife and I will be heading North or East NE out of Dallas on the morning of the 27th. We will happen to have a C5i and a Stella CAM EX with us and might want to stop just North of Texas or Eastward in Arkansas if we happen to find a group of observers that have a good place to watch the lunar eclipse. We especially enjoy the company of those who appreciate God's wonderful stellar creations. Anyone recommend any place and group?

Roland

Algenon the mouse
2004-Oct-14, 03:37 AM
I can hardly wait! After sunset you say? I hope the weather is good.

damienpaul
2004-Oct-14, 11:44 AM
what a nice bday present,...if i could see it :P

antoniseb
2004-Oct-14, 12:12 PM
Lunar Eclipses were a very important thing to observe in Early astronomy. They provided the only way to get accurate measurements of the location of the sun against the background stars. It was because of the measurements of the location of the Earth's shadow that the ancients [Hipparchos et. al.] were able to determine the direction to the sun at perihelion and aphelion.

StarLab
2004-Oct-14, 07:00 PM
And...what's the story on who can view this and who can't? :unsure: